Solid Edge ST vs Traditional

Dear All,

I am using vb.net and Solid Edge (upto v20) from last 2-3 years. And i can program most of the things to let my SE behaves as i want.

Now we have decided to move ahead and try SE ST to work with. The strange thing, it is giving me the problems at the start of the programs only as i am unable to use the way i was doing customization. Though i am doing a fresh bit of coding and not using the older codes.

Also as there are two different modes in newer version i.e. Traditional and Sync; if i code using Trad dlls, the Trad mode works great as before. But even using the Sync dlls for Sync mode it behaves like it doesn't know what this Sync phenomenon is?

Please have a look:

' Variables declaration for both the modes:

Dim oSEApp As SolidEdgeFramework.Application

Dim oTradPart As SolidEdgePart.PartDocument

Dim oTradAsm As SolidEdgeAssembly.AssemblyDocument

Dim oSyncPart As SolidEdgePartSync.PartDocument

Dim oSyncAsm As SolidEdgeAssemblySync.AssemblyDocument

'connect to running instance of SE

oSEApp = GetObject(, "SolidEdge.Application")

oSEApp.Visible = True

oTradPart = oSEApp.Documents.Add("SolidEdge.PartDocument")  ' It is working fine

oSyncPart = oSEApp.Documents.Add("SolidEdgeSync.PartDocument") ' Unable to work

Also the method oSEApp.Documents.Open(Part) works normal for both the modes.

The most important thing is that the Sync Part object does not have many properties as the Trad Part object has. It does not have the variables property.

I may be wrong or not using the proper ways. But it looks ok for me. (???)

Does anybody have any idea or help regarding SE ST?

Jason - The new .NET Programmer’s Guide is fantastic and more elaborative, congrats for this achievements and thanks for the great work provided by you.

But i found that the programs you have mentioned over there are for the regular solid edge or we can say for Trad parts.

I am not able to work on the ST programming parts as we have to test the things on the ST environments so that if the things works fine as we want we are going to install/upgrade the SE otherwise we have to dump it.

Do you have any special programming materials for the same?

Posted by: Prasad Pawar
Post date: 1/14/2009 6:01:35 PM

2 REPLIES

RE: Solid Edge ST vs Traditional

Hi Prasad,

I'm glad that you like the new programmers guide & sdk.  It is true that the scope of my project with Siemens unfortunately did not include ST specific examples.  The scope of the project was to port and update the pre-ST SDK.  I literally got my ST DVD the last week or so of the proejct so you can understand why there are no ST examples.

I'm working very hard with Siemens to get another project to continue the SDK work.  Siemens is a large company and there is a lot of red tape involved, budgets, etc.  I'm hoping to hear from them very soon on whether or not the project gets approved.  If it does, the focus will be on the newly added ST API's.

I've added a page to the wiki that will hopefully help you get a little further than you are now.  http://wiki.jasonnewell.net/SDK.ashx  I'll keep adding things (as you all can) as I get time.  That page has the answer to your Documents.Add() problem.  Regarding you not being able to find the variables property, I checked a synchronous part using Solid Edge Spy and it's right where it's supposed to be.  i.e.  Application->ActiveDocument->Variables where ActiveDocument is traditional or synchronous.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 1/15/2009 10:40:28 AM

RE: Solid Edge ST vs Traditional

Jason,

I tried creating a part file myself and using the Solid Edge Tutorial also. It was done successfully. i got the model as i wanted, but when i saw the variable table - nothing was there.....? There were only variables for hole dia and PMI dimensions. And no dimension is editable except hole dia.

Is there any other way to create the variables (i dont think so).

Please do the needful as my automation task is 80% dependent on the updation of variables.

Posted by: Prasad Pawar
Post date: 1/16/2009 7:02:38 PM