Solid Edge Spy Information

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone!

I'm a bit confused by the complexity of the Solid Edge Spy. I've been programming in VB.NET 2005 for a little while now, and I recognize all the objects as the bare bones of Solid Edge, but I don't quite understand how to use the information that it's providing for me in a programming sense.

I'm trying to do an application for my place of business that allows us to edit all the file properties of an .asm, and the parts that go with it, in one solid table... which would most likely be a DataGridView. I'm certain that a man named Teb Barham has created something VERY similar to what I'm look for called PropSheet:

(www.barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/PropSheet/index.htm

But like everyone else here, I would love to learn how to do this myself!

Any help or guidance fellas? Thank you in adavance!

Posted by: Greg Stachurski
Post date: 5/21/2008 4:03:29 AM

3 REPLIES

RE: Solid Edge Spy Information

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Solid Edge Spy simply displays to you the "Runtime Object Model" of Solid Edt. If you'll right click in the TreeView, you can turn on Interface Names. That will tell you what type of objects that you're dealing with. It allows you to browse around looking for a particular object, property or method. Once you find what you're looking for, coding is for the most part simple.

You actually have 3 choices regarding modifying Solid Edge File Properties. Solid Edge API, Revision Manager API & File Properties API. All of which have examples in the Downloads page. They'll be somewhere in the .zip.

he new Programmer's Guide & SDK Help that I'm working on for the next release of Solid Edge will also have good examples. Reply back if you don't find what you're looking for.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 5/21/2008 8:41:27 PM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

I've been looking over some of the developer conference examples and

I found that the 2005 AutoProp program you created was almost exactly what I was looking for! I'm wondering if there is any way to display all the properties of the .asm, .par, and .dft in one table all together?

What our designers would like to be able to do is fill out file properties once and the files update accordingly...is there any way to do this using the information I have hear?

Posted by: Greg Stachurski
Post date: 5/22/2008 7:21:15 AM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It's certainly possible. The biggest challenge is finding a windows control that will do what you want. I've done it before using a ListView control in the EdgeBar but I had to customize it quite a bit. You may look into the DataGrid control.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 5/25/2008 7:41:43 AM