Solid Edge macros?

[ Edited ]

My company is currently transitioning to Solid Edge from I-DEAS. We have several codes that generate text files containing a series of I-DEAS commands. These commands are then run within I-DEAS to create the necessary geometry. Here’s a snippet of a typical program:

K : $ /ta mm

K : /cr m3 l pp

K : key

K :    14.4200    -0.3750    55.3500

K :    13.7900    -0.3750    55.3500

K : done

These commands maneuver through the menus and create a point-to-point line between the coordinates specified. A similar set of commands would create a spline through a series of points. The lines/splines are then used to manually do sweeps, lofts, etc

I need to do something similar in Solid Edge. I want take an input files with a series of points, and create the lines and splines and, if possible, automate the necessary sweeps, lofts, etc.

Is this something I’d do in VB, or does Solid Edge have a comparable macro capability?

An alternative would be to generate a text file in a format that can be imported into Solid Edge as a solid body. However I’m not sure what the appropriate file format would be.

Thanks,

Russ D.

Posted by: Russell Dilley
Post date: 2/14/2008 7:22:11 AM

1 REPLY

RE: Solid Edge macros?

[ Edited ]

Russ,

Solid Edge has a COM API which means you can use any programming \ scripting language that supports COM.

There are quite a few example of building geometry in:

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge VXX\SDK\SDKExamples.chm

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 2/15/2008 6:31:50 AM