Where to find Hole plane distance?

Creator
Creator

Im trying to find a hole's plane distance (when a hole is placed on a parallel plane, the dimention for how far the parallel plane is from the reference plane).  I've used Jason Newell's Solid Edge Spy, but the only way I can find a reference to the dimention is if I use SelectSet, cant seem to find it looking thru the tree.

Any ideas?

-Dave

2 REPLIES

Re: Where to find Hole plane distance?

Pioneer
Pioneer

If everything else fails, you could calculate the distance yourself. All you need are the normals and rootpoints of the two planes.

Robin

Re: Where to find Hole plane distance?

Creator
Creator

Yeah, thats really not an option.  On some parts, we have rounded castings that require a spot face and hole to a depth.  And because a casting's surface is so inacurrate, we use a centerline as a datum.  When drafting, you have to show the spotface from the datum for each hole.  So what Ive been doing is modeling the spotface (actually a c'bore) onto a parallel plane, then have the c'bore protrude in both directions (effectively creating a spot face and the drilled hole).  The plane's offset is list as a variable in the part file.  So I have to manually 'expose' the variable, copy the reference name, then in the draft insert the line "%{hole1_plane_distance|G}" and it'll dynamically show the correct datum offset.  So I was going to make a macro that if it sees some unique identifer in the callout text, it'll search for the variable, expose it, then replace the identifier with the correct formula.  So I need to find the exact location to make these changes.  They have to be somewhere.  If they show up and are editable via select set, they have to be linked somewhere.

-Dave