Win7 or Win 8

Phenom
Phenom

My hard drive died on my laptop workstation. I just picked up a new 250GB SSD drive to replace the old drive. Since I am starting from scratch I was wondering if there were any opinions, and I know there are plenty of them here, about whether I should install Win 7 or Win 8?

I already have Win 8 on the kids laptops and on my Surface. So I am familiar with some of the pros and cons from the UI standpoint. I would like to know if there are performance differences between the two OS for Solid Edge?

Greatly appreciate everyones input!

3 REPLIES

Re: Win7 or Win 8

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Since Desktop Mode is pretty much unchanged from Win 7, and that's what SE runs in,  either should work well.  I have heard that 8.1 might be advantageous as it can be configured to start in Desktop Mode if you wish it.  Just make sure whichever OS you choose it is the x64 version.

Personally, I would go for 8.1 just to be as current as possible but I will caveat it with the fact that I have yet to run SE on Windows 8 or 8.1.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I'm not a classic Solid Edge user but I do develop for Solid Edge on Windows 8 and have not had any issues. Regarding booting to desktop and the classic start menu, I have used Start8 from day one and absolutely love it.

Jason Newell
Applications Architect
www.jasonnewell.net

Phenom
Phenom

A little more research and it looks like Dell has stuck me at Win 7. Win 8 is not an option from their driver download site. Bumber...