difference between interop.SolidEdgeFrameworkLib.dll and framewrk.tlb

[ Edited ]

In the VB.NET IDE a can import references to interop.SolidEdgeFrameworkLib.dll or framewrk.tlb. What's the difference?

Juergen

Posted by: Sachin Chougule
Post date: 12/13/2005 9:07:23 PM

2 REPLIES

RE: difference between interop.SolidEdgeFrameworkLib.dll and framewrk.tlb

[ Edited ]

Juergen,

framewrk.tlb is a Solid Edge provided COM Type Library. Non-.NET programming languages use .tlb for COM API definitions.

Interop.SolidEdgeFrameworkLib.dll is a Primary Interop Assembly that was generated from framewrk.tlb.

If you add a reference to framewrk.tlb, Visual Studio .NET will create an Interop Assembly for you and place it as a reference in your project. .NET cannot reference .tlb files directly.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 12/14/2005 5:37:28 AM

RE: difference between interop.SolidEdgeFrameworkLib.dll and framewrk.tlb

[ Edited ]

Hi,

bit of a late reply, but the interop assemblies in the Program folder are not Primary Interops. I got the official answer after logging an ER. The reply stated that they are not primary interops and that developers should use private interops to - get this - avoid versioning problems . I never thought I'd get a recommendation from a major software developer telling me to avoid using PIA's to avoid versioning problems

It looks like we might need Jasons influence to get some PIAs delivered with SE.

Cheers

Calum

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 4/3/2006 12:35:04 AM