populating file Properties

Hi All, I'm just starting out on the customization route (VB), don’t ask why after using SE since V7, but hey these things happen and I'm making good progress using this site as a reference base. Is it possible to populate the properties of a SE *.psm or *.par file using VB. I would like to fill file properties from a database. The only properties I’m interested in are:- On the Project tab,Document NumberRevision NumberProject Name And on the Summary tabTitle Subject 

Can anyone give me a leg up? Or just let me know if it’s possible?

Many thaks in advance

Posted by: Mark O'Hara
Post date: 7/7/2008 4:52:25 PM

3 REPLIES

RE: populating file Properties

Hi,

Check out the following post:

http://www.jasonnewell.net/Forums/tabid/55/forumid/1/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/831/Default.aspx

if you're using VB6 then use V6.0, if you're using .Net then there is a download for .Net 2.0 at the bottom of the page. V6.0 Installs a help file with examples in the program folder, and the .Net version integrates the help in Visual Studio 2005 (slightly out of date - see the last couple of posts).

Let me know if that'S what you're looking for.

Cheers

Calum1/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/831/Default.aspx#831

[EDIT: if you're trying to write the properties of an open file then you'll need the Solid Edge File Properties type library - there should be examples of this in the programming help, but if not the let me know]

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 7/7/2008 9:21:50 PM

Thanks for the details Callum, 

Looks like a great piece of work

Unfortunately I cannot get this to run, I can view the project but thats all, but the code is interesting and I can learn a lot from this

I should have been clearer in my post. I have a need to populate consecutive document numbers and various other details (mentioned above) these will come form a simple database, created in VB 2005. The database has lots of Non SE Customer data, but I have been allowed access to this and can add the above properties to the database. This would make my things a little easier.

I was thinking along the lines of Having a form with the relevant details and then clicking a button. Then this would create the appropriate Blank SE (*.psm or *par) file and at the same time fill the properties then save and close the SE file with the name given by the database. If this is possible I will carry on working on the project using snippets of code I have picked up from various places.

I was going to write to the propseed file before each file creation but this seemed a bit excessive.

Sorry to be so green but we all start somewhere

Cheers

Post date: 7/8/2008 10:28:32 AM

Hi Calum,

I’ve finally grasped the concept and this was just what I was looking for.

I had been accessing the property sets as set out in the programmers guide, customizing solid edge, Version 15.

But this wasn’t what I wanted to achieve as it only works with open instances of SE

This is a great leap forward for me thank you

Post date: 7/9/2008 5:14:59 PM