populating file Properties

[ Edited ]

Hi All, I'm just starting out on the customization route (VB), don’t ask why after using SE since V7, but hey these things happen and I'm making good progress using this site as a reference base. Is it possible to populate the properties of a SE *.psm or *.par file using VB. I would like to fill file properties from a database. The only properties I’m interested in are:- On the Project tab,Document NumberRevision NumberProject Name And on the Summary tabTitle Subject 

Can anyone give me a leg up? Or just let me know if it’s possible?

Many thaks in advance

Posted by: Mark O'Hara
Post date: 7/7/2008 4:52:25 PM

3 REPLIES

RE: populating file Properties

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Check out the following post:

http://www.jasonnewell.net/Forums/tabid/55/forumid/1/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/831/Default.aspx

if you're using VB6 then use V6.0, if you're using .Net then there is a download for .Net 2.0 at the bottom of the page. V6.0 Installs a help file with examples in the program folder, and the .Net version integrates the help in Visual Studio 2005 (slightly out of date - see the last couple of posts).

Let me know if that'S what you're looking for.

Cheers

Calum1/tpage/1/view/topic/postid/831/Default.aspx#831

[EDIT: if you're trying to write the properties of an open file then you'll need the Solid Edge File Properties type library - there should be examples of this in the programming help, but if not the let me know]

Posted by: Calum McLellan
Post date: 7/7/2008 9:21:50 PM

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the details Callum, 

Looks like a great piece of work

Unfortunately I cannot get this to run, I can view the project but thats all, but the code is interesting and I can learn a lot from this

I should have been clearer in my post. I have a need to populate consecutive document numbers and various other details (mentioned above) these will come form a simple database, created in VB 2005. The database has lots of Non SE Customer data, but I have been allowed access to this and can add the above properties to the database. This would make my things a little easier.

I was thinking along the lines of Having a form with the relevant details and then clicking a button. Then this would create the appropriate Blank SE (*.psm or *par) file and at the same time fill the properties then save and close the SE file with the name given by the database. If this is possible I will carry on working on the project using snippets of code I have picked up from various places.

I was going to write to the propseed file before each file creation but this seemed a bit excessive.

Sorry to be so green but we all start somewhere

Cheers

Post date: 7/8/2008 10:28:32 AM

[ Edited ]

Hi Calum,

I’ve finally grasped the concept and this was just what I was looking for.

I had been accessing the property sets as set out in the programmers guide, customizing solid edge, Version 15.

But this wasn’t what I wanted to achieve as it only works with open instances of SE

This is a great leap forward for me thank you

Post date: 7/9/2008 5:14:59 PM