the ST3 object structure

[ Edited ]

*just downloading ST3*

anyone looked at the activedoc in parts, yet ?

As they have combined the trad&sync part into a single document, I can't wait to see how it looks in the api

(hopefully there won't be many problems with our macros/addin )

Posted by: Linus Hechinger
Post date: 10/14/2010 2:45:17 AM

7 REPLIES

RE: the ST3 object structure

[ Edited ]

You clicked my "curiosity" button.

I played 10 mins. with that in and what i found is:

- Now part document type is recognized as the good old: SolidEdgeConstants.DocumentTypeConstants.igPartDocument

- I guess that isSyncPart Document is still there only for ST and ST2 sync part files. (somehow i was expecting this two points)

- I tested this with parts that contained no operations, only sync or ordered operations and mixed operations.

- An "ordered protrusion is the ExtrudedProtrusion object we all know.

- A "sync" extruded protrusion also contains the same ExtrudedProtrusion object but it's more empty. I think you can get only the faces and not a lot else. No depth, directions, profiles, etc. (Indeed it's a sync operation)

So i could preview that the objects are again unique but the information that could contain varies if the operation is type "sync" or "ordered".

Again, sespy helped a lot. Thanks, Jason.

Hope this helps,

Julian

Posted by: Julian Guillo
Post date: 10/14/2010 4:49:35 AM

[ Edited ]

Oh, sorry, i didn't say any conclusion.

I expect that:

- If your macros are "touching" variables, properties, document types, general things, etc. there will not be any problem or need modifications.

- If your macros are asking for data like a depth in a protrusion or reading or manipulating entities from the profile in a feature, then you can run into problems, because they only exist in "traditional" or now "ordered" featuresnot in "sync" features.

Julian

Posted by: Julian Guillo
Post date: 10/14/2010 4:55:15 AM

[ Edited ]

I know that we are not accustomed to looking at the SDK Help for guideance but there is a wealth of information regarding what you guys are talking about in the new ST3 SDK Help. I highly encourage you all to spend time reading it and seeing what I wrote.

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 10/14/2010 5:14:52 AM

[ Edited ]

just couldn't wait for the download

yes,SDK help is nice to read -- what would we do without jason ...

Post date: 10/14/2010 8:58:42 PM

[ Edited ]

Posted By solid81 on 15 Oct 2010 01:58 AM

just couldn't wait for the download

yes,SDK help is nice to read -- what would we do without jason ... As always, thank you for the kind words.

I tell you guys what, I have a much greater appreciation for the amount of effort it takes to generate and maintain help documentation.  I'll be the first to admit the the SDK Help could always be better but if you've been programming Solid Edge long enough to remember the pre-ST SDK Help, you can appreciate how good it is in comparison.

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed that I added a new programming language to the SDK Help?  I added the Visual C++ (Native) language to the help so that we could see the raw COM definition.  This is extremely handy because .NET loves to wrap everything in System.Object and hide the true COM type.  Consider the following example:

Sub GetParamAtPoint ( _ NumPoints As Integer, _ ByRef Points As Array, _ ByRef GuessParams As Array, _ ByRef MaxDeviations As Array, _ ByRef Params As Array, _ ByRef Flags As Array _)

Anyone care to guess what type of array each of those parameters are?  Your guess is as good as mine and the only way you could be sure was to use OleView to view the type library.  Now see the benefit of having the raw signature:

[ id(0x0000010E), helpstring("Computes the parameter on the curve that corresponds to a given array of world space points in the coordinate system lying near the curve.")]void GetParamAtPoint( [in] long NumPoints, [in, out] SAFEARRAY(double)* Points, [in, out] SAFEARRAY(double)* GuessParams, [in, out] SAFEARRAY(double)* MaxDeviations, [in, out] SAFEARRAY(double)* Params, [in, out] SAFEARRAY(long)* Flags)

Aha!  Now we can easily see the parameter type of each array.  Now that is **bleep** handy if you ask me ;-)

You might also notice that I have begun the work of porting the Programmer's Guide directly into the SDK Help.  I recommended this change to Siemens because I felt like it would be more beneficial to the information in single (searchable) source.  So many new things in this release of the SDK Help that I should probably put together a post of all the new features...

Posted by: Jason Newell
Post date: 10/14/2010 9:29:56 PM

[ Edited ]

if you've been programming Solid Edge long enough to remember the pre-ST SDK Help, you can appreciate how good it is in comparison.

That's why I'm so impressed of the new SDK, cause we are working with preST...

And i used to use EdgeSpy cause its much better then old sdk....

Now i read the first pages of ST3 SDK and I'm soo happy following statements:

1. Sync document object is removed ( lucky - cause progamms using trad objects with preST...)

2. I found the line with the statement "Since we cannot modify existing API signatures",

cause it's a MUST for developers but was never 100% clear to me.

THX

Post date: 10/15/2010 12:12:13 AM

[ Edited ]

Oh! my forerunner just used hardcoded doctypes like 1, 2, 3 ... so use SolidEdgeConstants.DocumentTypeConstants. ...

Post date: 1/9/2011 9:25:00 PM