who is using my document?

Hi all

when opening a doc and receiving a read only warning, is there a way to see who is the temporary owner of the document? What I mean is, where is the document is being edit now  (by user or pc). this is a common problem in companies where parts library is used by many users and it's hard to keep track or ask around who is using what at any time.

thanks Alon   

Posted by: alon raviv
Post date: 1/15/2012 10:42:39 PM

2 REPLIES

RE: who is using my document?

Hi,

the tool psfile from the free SysInternalsSuite may be useful for you: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897552

Posted by: Wolfgang Kunert
Post date: 1/17/2012 3:47:59 AM

RE: who is using my document?

Hi wolfgang

I've looked at psfile but it seems like i need access to the remote working stations (and also to know user names and pass). i'm not sure i'm using it correctly because i can only see my own pc.

as in many firms, we all have access to the main archive of parts and assemblies but we work separately.

what i was looking for is a way to find how have a particular file open now (the one i need to work with as well).

I know that ms office have the same warning (read only) when a doc is already opened but also with the name of the temporary owner. i'm looking after a way to show that also for SE.

thanks

Alon

Posted by: alon raviv
Post date: 1/17/2012 7:39:09 PM