12GAGE Sheet metal thread

Phenom
Phenom

Hello all. Most of my threads are trying to solve a single issue. I hope to make this an ordered sheet metal thread.

To start it off, here is a link to a recent article. Later today I will consolidate bits from other threads here.

http://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/11360/Doing-Origami-with-...

edit....attached the original graphic file I had created for the article. They decided it was too much information. I thought is may help some people who are getting started with sheet metal.

edit2.....Thanks for the support and Kudo's on the artical. Also in general, wanted to say thanks to Sean, Imics, Bshand and Grundey for being very helpful on the forum.

18 REPLIES

Re: 12GAGE Sheet metal thread

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Nice article @12GAGE!

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE,

What a great article Scott.....also, nice to have a face to go with "the name". Congrats!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

@SeanCresswell @12GAGE Have to agree. It's good to place a face with a name and it's an interesting read as well. It can't be fun bending that material!

Phenom
Phenom

List of thing to detail for enhancement requests:

1. + direction of Assembly plane offsets

2. Reference angle for sheet metal bend  ----its a 10 deg bend, not 170

3. Ability to fold up given flats without altering the flat pattern as long as all sheet metal is within 10 thicknesses of non plastic sheet.

4. Additional modeling step. The machining operation. This allows details to be added to sheet metal part without effecting the flat because it's a post bending operation. This should also be allowed to be used as a direct flat editor.....ie can be pre or post bend.

5. Additional options for 2 way and 3 way corners.

a. Small holes allowed in 3 way corners.

b. Slot configuration for 3 way coroners...slot can be smaller or larger than hole.

c. optional feedback about 2 way corners. I want the corner cutout size as feedback.

6. Add gage to the occurrence properties page, or anywhere so that sheet metal gages can be edited for all the sheet metal parts of an assembly at once.

7. reduce the CPU overhead for keeping the gage table attached, or allow the gage to display on parts lists without the XLS being attached.

8. The sides of flanges angle needs many enhancements.

a. The flat is clean at angle....need graphic

b. The angle can start anywhere.

9. The ability to place a variable in any cell of any table.

10. 2 and 3 way corner design when two sheets are involved....graphic needed

11. Simplify flat command. When all other issues cant be solved, allow the flat to be edited for simpler outlines for punch machines and 3D printing. This could be handled using #4 on this list.

12. Bitmaps, Bumpmaps, and hatch patterns for commonly used patterned steel: Diamond, Expanded, Perforated plate, Screens.

13. Ability to display the following in draft: Document name formula, Material tab name, Where used (both directions)

14. Optional flange reference of back gage rather than the distance to inside or outside of sheet.

15. Reference cube in ordered assembly and sheet metal parts. Ability to sync and co-inside the two would also be nice.

16. Reference cube, enhanced for 45 deg chams on any corner (2 way or 3 way). Very similar to the viewpoint cube options.

17. I need to learn more about feature re-use, but I would like to be able to reuse collections of flanges on other parts.

18. Allow a chain of flanges to be around the 4+ edges of a tab.

19. This one is the tallest request: Add many features to the bend sequence interface to automatically generate back gage and stick out on bend tables. I will need to make hand sketches of how the interface would work. The best description is the bend line has an arrow normal to it defaulting to facing the line from the face of the tab. The arrow can be rotated around the line to any direction the bend is cumming from. Using that line as a reference, The outer most portion of the part to and from the bend are automatically used, and can graphically be re-picked to the back gage and stick out measurements from the bend line. The stick out and back gage are new columns in the bend table.

20. Add new arrow styles for bend table graphics. Diamond shaped arrow heads that center around the destination line. Filled and hollow version for up vs down (solid is up). Even half filled (right or left....up or down) are also good options to show what bends are not 90 deg up.

21. File names as variables that can pass through mixed with string variable math. Lets say the assembly is named A. and one of the parts is named P. Lets also say I have another variable called X1. Now I want to make a new variable = APX1. If the file name of the assembly or part, or the name of X1 changes, so the does variable name. This would help facilitate my current work around for lack of stick out and back gage for bend tables. This would be done in either the assembly or the draft file of the assembly.

22. Have switches to display cross break in any view of a sheet metal part. Also have a switch to actually edit the geometry for cross break so that other parts can match the finished profile.

23. Item number in annotation.

24. All text formatting other than the baseline style should have the following controls: Multiplier factor from standard text, bold, underline, italic. This includes view labels.

25. Add the option of bend lines to flat pattern view. currently it's only the start and end of the bends that show up. This would avoid an addition sketch when my manual back gage dimensions are placed in the model file instead of draft.

26. Allow any kind of cutout/hole/slot in and around sheet metal corners. Even if they are only partially on the corner. 2 way and 3 way type corners.

27. Allow mate flipping when filly constrained (say 3 plane mates. Right Now I have to delete the second to flip the 3rd than add the second back). The program should suspend and re-apply the second mate to allow a 3rd to be flipped.

28. Be able to edit what view in draft is designated as R1

29. Allow assembly features to create seporate frame members for parts lists.

30. Have all variables that display as cut length use the same control for trailing 0's (Sheet, frame, custom)

31. SE should identify when two seporate parts are actually the same in two condition: In the flat, and folded. The bill of materials should reflect the folded case, but flat pattern quantities should be about the flats only.

Phenom
Phenom

Scott,

This is a cool article, congrats to it!

Good to see that SE Community is "value" for you!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

12GAGE wrote:

List of thing to detail for enhancement requests:

1. + direction of Assembly plane offsets

2. Reference angle for sheet metal bend  ----its a 10 deg bend, not 170

3. Ability to fold up given flats without altering the flat pattern as long as all sheet metal is within 10 thicknesses of non plastic sheet.

4. Additional modeling step. The machining operation. This allows details to be added to sheet metal part without effecting the flat because it's a post bending operation. This should also be allowed to be used as a direct flat editor.....ie can be pre or post bend.

5. Additional options for 2 way and 3 way corners.

a. Small holes allowed in 3 way corners.

b. Slot configuration for 3 way coroners...slot can be smaller or larger than hole.

c. optional feedback about 2 way corners. I want the corner cutout size as feedback.

6. Add gage to the occurrence properties page, or anywhere so that sheet metal gages can be edited for all the sheet metal parts of an assembly at once.

7. reduce the CPU overhead for keeping the gage table attached, or allow the gage to display on parts lists without the XLS being attached.

8. The sides of flanges angle needs many enhancements.

a. The flat is clean at angle....need graphic

b. The angle can start anywhere.

9. The ability to place a variable in any cell of any table.

10. 2 and 3 way corner design when two sheets are involved....graphic needed

11. Simplify flat command. When all other issues cant be solved, allow the flat to be edited for simpler outlines for punch machines and 3D printing.

12. Bitmaps, Bumpmaps, and hatch patterns for commonly used patterned steel: Diamond, Expanded, Perferated plate, Screens.

13. Ability to display the following in draft: Document name formula, Material tab name, Where used (both directions)

14. Will add more when I have time.

I do use a lot sheet metal so any enhancement about it is very welcome.

Please have a look at this topic:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Sheet-Metal/Inserts-with-hexagonal-body-h...

how do you handle that ? (of course if you do use hexagonal inserts)

Thanks

Legend
Legend

"Please have a look at this topic:

how do you handle that ? (of course if you do use hexagonal inserts)"

I haven't done it in a long time, but we used to have "features" that we could drag onto a sheetmetal part. I think if I was doing what you want to do, that's the direction I'd look into. We would have special tooling cutouts, louvers, etc that were pre-drawn and dropped onto a sheetmetal face.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

I handle "inserts" as follows.

First I use sketches to add cutouts to the sheet metal (Ordered).

Then I mate whatever (Bung, Coupling, etc....) to the surface and axis of the cutout. In my case all cutouts are circular.

I actually have a directory called "Weldthread" where I keep everything that is used to weld threads to sheet metal. I have a single 3/8" bung that is used in about 1000 models. 

If I I need to move a bung/coupling, then I edit the sketch. I make the sketches follow the sides of the box. If the box changes size, the bung stays realtive to the edges.

I have played with storing "features". But every time I try it, I have problems and can't really get that goin in a useful way without more effort.

Phenom
Phenom
Why don't you use the hole tool to make the cutouts ? With you can avoide the use of an extra sketch and more inportant (for my usage) you can pattern "inserts" over it in assembly.

This is what strugle me more with hexagonal inserts, the inhability to easy have an axis of the hexagon to mate allign the insert and the inhability to easy pattern the inserts over all the hexagons.

Thats why I logged that IRs