2 level sub-assembly problems

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, 

i'm modeling vehicle and main assembly file contains two sub-assemblies.

1. Lowest level assembly is uniball/rose joint assembly.
  2. Next sub-assembly is the one where I construct front undercarriage.

Main assembly contains main assemblies:

• Front undercarriage
  • Rear undercarriage
  • Engine
  • etc

I wan't to make axial align relate.

If I open 2. assembly and make uniballs adjustable, everything works fine. But if I open up main assembli and make Front undercarriage adjustable and try to connect uniballs with tube frame it fails, because after making assembly adjustable steering knuckle gets "grounded", won't move. 

I have defined/related assemblies main parts with 'reference plain system. Example: uniball moving center part is defined within uniball assembly. Steering knuckle is defined same way in it's assembly.

Does and how fill adjustable assembly affects cordinate systems and reference plains?

How should i fix my problem?

I have been using Autodesk Inventor but with Solid edge i have about 30h work time experience.

Thanks in advance

Mart 

10 REPLIES

Re: 2 level sub-assembly problems

Hello Mart,

Do you think you can share assembly and part files so we can take a look at your problem.

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

If you are using a ball type joint, you may need to use a connect constraint and use the center point of the ball of the joint and the socket of the joint.  That will allow the ball to rotate around in any direction.  If you have an axial align it will constraint the ball to only rotate on the axis of the hole through the ball.  There is a wobbler pump demo model somewhere in the tutorials that shows this kind of constraint. 

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

you can access my CAD from this Link 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6howuQ4qhc6bUxtVU9UbGNFSTg/edit?usp=sharing

Mart

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Couldn't open the files with the commercial version... Is this the Student version?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Yes, I didn't mention it. Sorry.

How to make it readable to You, others?

Mart

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can't.  Best to maybe share a video of what you are attempting to do.  If using ST6, use the YouTube function in it and then paste the URL to it here.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Maybe you can try to export your top assembly to Parasolid and re-post the files.

For sure, all assembly constraints will be lost but at least, we will be able to see your assembly structure and propose some solutions.

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

video is here and parasolid document is here.

My problem is that when turning assembly adjustable things won't work as they should.

Mart

Hi Mart,

Sorry for the late reply.

I was out for Christmas holidays.

The way I can see this is that you will have to make the assembly "Esimene_veermik" adjustable AND also make your M10_HeimJoints (both) adjustable.

This will allow Solid Edge to rotate sphere in HeimJoint when trying to apply assembly relationship.

It works on my side.

In M10_HeimJoint, I've put a "Connect" relationship between the sphere of part 15150_01 and 15150_02.

Hope my explanations are clear enough.

Regards,

Michel