Solved! Go to solution

20 Flange limit?

[ Edited ]

I'm running into sheet metal flanges not being added due to an error:

"Internal Error: Unable to recompute topology tracking information"

My guess is that sheet metal is limited to 20 flanges per part. My part only has 10 flanges, but has been through some design cycles making the part think I'm adding flange 20 rather than flange 10.

Is there a way to re-number the existing flanges to free up the flange count or some other work around that will allow me to continue without starting over?

Edit...After a reboot and reload of the model, I was allowed to make additional flanges, but with some restrictions like not being able to use any combination of flange configuration. Not sure why.

In general, I have made the file unhappy, but can't afford to re-start the file from scratch.I found found a way to get the design complete, but the file has become something I desire to re-design/replace when I can because the sheet metal flanges are not reacting in a predictable manner.

This sort of problem has become much less a commonplace for me since the dimension "flip" was resolved a few weeks back. There is still some bug in complex sheet (10 flange+) metal making it not stable.

9 REPLIES

Re: 20 Flange limit?

I suspect you're unfairly blaming the software! There is no 20 flange limit (I just made a test part with 80 in both ordered and sync).

That error appears when SE can't flat pattern for some reason - it's usually around the ends/corners of bends or if you've used the lofted flange function and made something it can't work out for some reason.

If you're in ordered, suppress the whole feature tree after the 1st feature, flat pattern and successivly unsuppress the tree until the flat pattern fails - that'll tell you where the problem is.

That part will flatten with no issues, the bug is in being able to add a flange at all. In this specific case, there is no way the added flange would make the flat fail.

Why not upload the part and let the community take a whack at it?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I would if I could. My manager would rather not have my post new product designs for anybody to download. I will send file to individuals. That way I know who I have given what and know who to come after when the competition comes out an identical product before we can work the bugs out.

12GAGE wrote:

I would if I could. My manager would rather not have my post new product designs for anybody to download. I will send file to individuals. That way I know who I have given what and know who to come after when the competition comes out an identical product before we can work the bugs out.

You can also log an IR and let development look at it so it won't be shared for anyone to download...

Greg

12GAGE wrote:

Unless you can replicate the issue with a dummy part, I'm afraid there's not much we can do to help...

12 Gage,

I would send the file to GTAC and let them check it out.  They will handle the file in a secure manner and would probably even sign an NDA if needed.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

kjoiner wrote:

12 Gage,

I would send the file to GTAC and let them check it out.  They will handle the file in a secure manner and would probably even sign an NDA if needed.

Kyle

This is definitely the route to take. If there is truly a problem, we need to have it so we can look at it and fix the problem.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author 12GAGE
‎11-03-2015 06:02 PM

I ended up working a round the issue by just using other flange types it would accept (never figured out why). As typical, I'm working on a one off product that may never be built again. It it is built again, it will likely be a different size and will not have exactly the same restrictions.