Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D CAM (laser,waterjet, plasma) integrated in Solid Edge

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I know that there are some CAM software that are integrated and run in the SolidWorks enviroment. I wanted to know if anyone knew if there was a 2D CAM (for laser, water jet, plasma) that is integrated and runs in the Solid Edge environment.

Thank you in advance

13 REPLIES

Re: 2D CAM (laser,waterjet, plasma) integrated in Solid Edge

Legend
Legend

I believe SigmaNest works with SolidEdge, but not in the environment. It accepts SolidEdge parts.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sigma runs with Solid Edge. That is what we use. I am looking for a package that is integrated in Solid Edge. Similar to what Fusion 360 has (dreaming big here).

Legend
Legend

Like I said, it isn't part of the SE environment. Isn't there a CAM Express option for SE? I've not heard of anything else that is used within SE, definately not for laser, waterjet, plasma, or punching.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think CAM express is only for machining (mill, lathe).

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@mezcofab & @Trikefreak

Yes, only a Mill / Turn deal......plus, I read a while back, that CAM Express is a separate application, so doesn't run "inside" Solid Edge, BUT, CAMWorks does.

Our early days laser team had SigmaNest, but that, along with the old Amada laser machine, has long since gone, in favour of a full Trumpf setup.

EDIT: here's the thread I was thinking of.... https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/siemensplm/board/message?board.id=solid-edge-forum&mess... 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A lot of the new software on the block  (Fusion, Onshape for example) are alowing more 3rd party applications to run inside the software's environment and I know Solid Works has this as well. It would be great to see a 2D cutting nesting application run inside the Solid Edge environment.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Sigma nest is the most common because it's only around $7000 a seat and can get the job done in a decent fashion.

Radion has better software for this, but now your talking $12,000 a seat for a reasonable cross section of tools. As a result it is less popular.

Beware of new players to this market of software. It's the programming between the flat patterns and your specific cutting tools that are the important portion of the software. Those take a long time to get working smooth, like typically 5 years of development for the software vendor.

Legend
Legend

I used to program within ProE, and it really was a silly add-on when you compare to a dedicated product.

No reason a programmer should have to stumble through all that a CAD program has, and most CAD people aren't knowledgable in the machinery to be doing the CAM side.

I've done both for years, and I'd much rather have the dedicated software for CAM, but that's just from my experiences.

Phenom
Phenom

Trikefreak wrote:

I used to program within ProE, and it really was a silly add-on when you compare to a dedicated product.

No reason a programmer should have to stumble through all that a CAD program has, and most CAD people aren't knowledgable in the machinery to be doing the CAM side.

I've done both for years, and I'd much rather have the dedicated software for CAM, but that's just from my experiences.

I agree and I would add that when the CAM is integrated in the CAD you keep a CAD license busy for CAM purposes; in my shop where CAM and CAD is done by differente offices would mean to buy more CAD seat to just run the CAM if integrated.

So I would agree that integrated software have some advantages if it is the same guys that have to do all the job.