2D Draft: P&ID intersecting connector line breaks instead of jumps

Creator
Creator

Currently in 2D Draft mode when making a schematic  I can add jumps to connector lines that intersect manually. But on P&IDs the convention is to not use jumps but just break one of the lines. 

Is there a way to get Solid Edge to break lines like this?  I show both examples below. 

jumps 6122016_82433 PM.jpg     break 6122016_82640 PM.jpgbreak2 6122016_82957 PM.jpg

9 REPLIES

Re: 2D Draft: P&ID intersecting connector line breaks instead of jumps

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I doubt there is an automated way. You could insert circles of the appropriate diameter at the intersection and on a layer you can hide, then trim the lines to the circles.

Maybe someone will come up with an easier way.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator
Hmm yes, I guess I could indeed do that. But it is laborious.

I wish there were more options to deal with these flowsheeting / connector issues in Solid Edge.

Creator
Creator

Another thought: 

If I do use those jumps, is there an easy way to just make all the jumps invisible? THat might get me very close to the desired effect. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Now I'm confused. You could connect the lines on either side of the jump with a line on a hidden layer.

Bruce Shand

Creator
Creator
Correct. I'm just trying to find an efficient way to do this.

e.g. One way could be to use jumps in the normal flow & then somehow set all jumps to go to a hidden layer. If there's a good way to do that it might achieve the same effect?

And would be faster than setting each small line to hidden every-time.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The problem, it seems to me, is that the "jumps" aren't a thing until you make them. Whether they are hidden circles or lines any way you do it will be laborious.

Is there software like Visio or something that understands "jumps". Maybe SE isn't the right tool.

Bruce Shand

Creator
Creator
Is there any way to just select "all jumps" at the end of the drawing? And then either set their color to transparent or send them en masse to a hidden layer? That'd work.

It is OK for the jumps to show as jump during the in-work phase so long as at the end I could hide them.

Visio and Solid edge both have their pros and cons I guess. With the connector functionality I was hoping that Solid Edge could do this flowsheeting aspect too. I think making schematics is indeed pushed as a suitable use case. Maybe it's just that the developers thought of a "electrical circuit diagrams" use case where jumps are standard.

I'm sure with a tiny bit of effort this mode of intersecting lines could also be programmed in. Maybe someone will read this and treat it as a feature request! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We're kind of going in circles here. It's a chicken or egg thing. You have to decide how a jump will be defined: circle, line, block, whatever and since it will insert on a default layer anyway you might as well make it a layer called jump when you insert it rather than later.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi cadpanda,

In ST 9 a new type is added to the Connector elements that will solve your request.

All workarounds will be very time-consuming.

I know this will not help you in the moment.

Regards JB

regards

JB
VS2015, SE ST10