2D Sync?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

I'm following tweets from PLM Connection...

Siemens announces 2D Synchronous... "The 2D equivalents of 3D features are dimensions and constraints. With 2D ST, you don't need them for changes."

I wonder what this might bring to the Solid Edge planning table.

Can 2D sycn be used in any 2D profile or only in 2D drafting.

IF it can be used in a sketch then can a 2D sync sketch drive a 3D ordered feature???

Oh the wheels are turning...  thoughts? Comments?

Just throwing this out for fodder.

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/
5 REPLIES

Re: 2D Sync?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
I'm going to have to learn how to CAD all over again.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Scott, 

Certainly not disagreeing with the notion of needing to re-learn... 

But, finding that most are having more troubles un-learning in order to adopt these newer technologies. 

I really hope more folks open up to this though...  My personal experience (in the industry, real world) are very favorable. I was able to do things with Sync that my minds eye had a very hard time approaching with ordered methods... IE: Compound angles in sheetmetal that would accept nominal axial align and planar aligns at the assy without relationship conflicts. 

For Top Down design approach, Sync is THE WAY to go!!!

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

While I can't speak for Solid Edge, I can say that '2D Synchronous Technology' is being included with NX 9.0 (available in about 2 months).  Again, I don't know this for sure, but I have to assume that the Solid Edge team is also looking at how these new (and by 'new', I mean we've applied for at least a couple of patents based on this technology) capabilities could be integrated into SE's sketcher-based tools.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

That's good, because 'sync' style tools like Stretch in sketching have been abandoned and left unpolished for a long time now. For example, try zooming in and out with the mouse wheel while in the Stretch command, and observe the abstract painting that SE makes out of your geometry.

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

That might be true, but since I don't run SE, I'll have to take your word for that.  However, I can say that this does NOT happen when zooming, using the mouse-wheel or whatever, while sketching in NX  Smiley Wink

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA