Solved! Go to solution

3-axis Ellipsoid in Solid Edge ST8

Hello everyone,

is there a way to create a tri-axial ellipsoid (e.g. a > b > c) in Solid Edge ST8?

I only managed to create an oblate one (a = b > c) by using the "rotation" command on a 2D-ellipsis.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Markus

9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ManaPDP
‎06-22-2016 09:34 AM

Re: 3-axis Ellipsoid in Solid Edge ST8

[ Edited ]

Will a Part Copy of a simple sphere with non-uniform scales create the ellipsoid you want ?

2016June22_03.png

You can do it by creating the 3 elipses and use the bluesurf tool.

@Fiorini, Nice! Could you video the bluesurf feature construction process? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get it to work.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author ManaPDP
‎06-22-2016 09:34 AM

[ Edited ]

bshand wrote:

@Fiorini, Nice! Could you video the bluesurf feature construction process? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get it to work.

Thanks, here the video:

(view in My Videos)

Hi Tushar,

your approach worked well! Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Fiorini's solution also works and gives direct control of the dimensions. Thumbs up!

Thanks again!

@Fiorini, When I do it I get inaccuracies or something:

bluesurf.JPG

Bruce Shand

Bruce, you need to "divide" the elipses in 2 semi elipses otherwise only one side of the elipsoid will be alligned with it.

If you pay attentin at my video I do divide in half each elipses, and during the bluesurf creating I do select the semi elips, the trick is to set bluesurf to "single" select.

@Fiorini, OK. I'll try it when I get more time. I have to admit your video is a little hard for me to follow. And I'm not very experienced with surfacing. And the Bluesurf function seems entirely non-intuitive to me.

Bruce Shand

bshand wrote:

@Fiorini, OK. I'll try it when I get more time. I have to admit your video is a little hard for me to follow. And I'm not very experienced with surfacing. And the Bluesurf function seems entirely non-intuitive to me.

BlueSurf tool as a plenty of options and different ways to behave accordingly by the given imputs.

It's true that from a non experienced user point of view it is non-intuitive.

I guess is the price to pay for a powerful tool like this.