3 file steps for fully editable frames?

Phenom
Phenom

Let's say I want to create a frame with many details, chamfers, holes, etc....

Let's say I want to keep the original wire-frame sketch associative with all members of the frame.

And Let's say I want all the frame parts together in a single assembly.

To do this I need to 

1. Create assembly with wire frame sketch.

2. Create frame members in that assembly.

3. Save selected to each frame member as a file

4. Create a new assembly, assembly all the frame parts.

Here is why that's the path.

1. Cant replace frame members with it's save selected file.

2. Can't perform many types of edits on frame members.

Am I looking at this correctly?

5 REPLIES

Re: 3 file steps for fully editable frames?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you should be able to:

1. Create assembly with wire frame sketch.
  2. Create frame members in that assembly.
  3. Create Assembly features of holes/cuts/chamfers/etc..
  4. Save selected of each to a file for detailing only.

OR

4.  In ST7, you can place the individual frame components in the Draft sheet after placing an initial view of the assembly.  Caveat:  Hard to know which you are placing as the preview and name of each frame member is that of the profile used to create it :-(

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Legend
Legend

I saw something in frames where it looked like you could set up a hole or a hole centerpoint in the original frame member and put in some kind of special frame holes in the frame module. But I couldn't find anything more about it. Anybody know what I'm talking about or did I just dream this?

Using SE since V12, 2002

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It was something added a few releases ago to address some structural steel standard I believe.  Not quite sure how it is supposed to be used but here is an ST7 tutorial that contains a section on creating the Holes for a cross section.

http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/en_US/resources/en_US/selfPac...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

I have the same question and a partial reason why.

Structural steel members have a "Gauge" associated with them. The Gauge is typical hole location for bolts. For example, each size angle has a specific location along the legs where holes are to be placed for bolts.

In general, the Gauges are for bolts 7/8" and under (3" hole spacing). Once you use 1" or larger bolts, the Gauge system does not work. Typically it's used for 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 7/8" bolts. Below 3/8" is not consitered structural, and over 7/8" is very uncommon.

Although I did design a connection once that used (72) X 1 1/8" bolts

Holes are assume to be the bolt dia+1/16" located on the Gauge line at 3" centers.

Legend
Legend

That helps explain it. It also tells me that it is no use to me so I can save myself the trouble of figuring it out!

Using SE since V12, 2002