34" Curved Monitors

Hi folks... it's been awhile since I've had the time to post here. Working on many new projects and putting in 80 hour weeks. So my lovely wife has given me permission to upgrade my system. The Workstaion is easy, but what about a NEW display?

I've looked at these new 34" CURVED monitors and they look very enticing. However I haven't seen any with a picture od CAD drawings on it. My concern is it may be fine for Photo's and Games, but I don't want all my parts looking like Bananas due to the screens radius. I don't use multiscreens due to my "age" and I like as much space for my drawings as possible.  I use a 8 year old Dell 30" which has been wonderful, but showing signss of age.

Anybody using one.... or at least seen what it does to "straight lines"

Thanks in advance.

Bob

15 REPLIES

Re: 34" Curved Monitors

We use the Dell ultrasharp range which are excellent. I'd make sure to go for the high end display ranges, designed for CAD engineers and graphic designers etc. These have good colour reproduction and are easier on the eyes for long use periods. Typically they're IPS technology, though I see the newer Dells are also LED.

I haven't any experience with curved monitors unfortunately - I think they're probably best for movies and gaming where immersion is key, but perhaps for your very large monitors it might be easier to see the whole screen. You definitely don't want all your parts to look curvy!

[ Edited ]

Alex,

Yeah after a lot of thought, with little information on the web that speaks to the "curved screen" and CAD I went the tradional route. A few years back a tried using "bi-focal" glasses to do CAD but found there to be too many annoyances with my peripheral vision. So I had to give them up and just use computer glasses specific to the distance my monitor is at.

I went with the ASUS PA3228Q 32" 4K UHD and hoping the finer resolution with help my aging eyes. Of course thanks to ST9 this is now a reality.

Bob

I'm waiting on support for the HoloLens... You can have as big a screen as you want Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

@BobMileti How can you afford a new monitor? Don't you have a wedding to save up for?

@BobMileti I was wondering how far back you have to be from a 32" monitor? Yikes, my boss would kill me for turning in an expense report for that much for a monitor!

Hi Bob,

Couldn't you take your Surface Pro into a store and connect it up to get a real feel, on how it appears for your eyes?

Great to see you back here by the way.....and hope those long work days are nearing conclusion. Keep well my friend!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

swertel wrote:

@BobMileti How can you afford a new monitor? Don't you have a wedding to save up for?

Hell no... that's Stacey's problem. My only concern is fitting into a Tuxedo!

RyanM wrote:

@BobMileti I was wondering how far back you have to be from a 32" monitor? Yikes, my boss would kill me for turning in an expense report for that much for a monitor!

Ryan,  I have a 30" Dell now for 7 years and have it  24" away. If i stare  dead center it almost fills my periferal vision. So I expect the 32" won't be too much different at all.

Oh and I sleep with the Boss and told her "size is everything"... so you need to try  some different tactics.

Ok... I just plugged my new  ASUS A3228Q 32" 4K UHD monitor into my old workstation running ST8 on a nVidia K2200, and I'm simply blown away by the clarity of this 4K display. I used the DV-D dual link cable to the mini-DP and I getting 3840 x 2410 resoltion.  What's interesting is it's running at 30hz. and yet there's no lag or flickering. I'm sure once I get my new workstation this will run this high at the 72hz.

This may be the best money I've spent in awhile on my system...  I can't recomend this enough.

Bob