3D Studio Max Translation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there any good translator for Solid Edge files to 3D Studio Max?  I have an animator that is wanting to use my solid edge models for virtual reality, but he needs to convert to an animation type format that he can use within 3D Studio Max.

7 REPLIES

Re: 3D Studio Max Translation

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

what about JT files?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

JT files are an option, but this requires an additional translator I believe for 3D Studio.  Even the JT files for these particular models are pretty intensive for an animation type modeller.  I am a little surprised that SE hasn't produced translator within SE that can do this as more and more stuff seems to be in need of translation to animation type modelling.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

SE is designed to work w/ Keyshot for redering. They don't care about 3DS as that is the competition, AutoDesk. SE is an engennering design software, not focused on the artistic side like 3DS.

I would try step file if 3DS can take. If not, the old IGS files work.

Phenom
Phenom

mdamson wrote:

but he needs to convert to an animation type format that he can use within 3D Studio Max.

Not sure what you mean by 'animation type format' but 3D Studio Max can import SAT, IGES, STEP, JT and STL - all of which Solid Edge can export from its assembly environment.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I had a bit of misunderstanding with the VR guys.  They are looking at eventually bringing in the model into MAYA.  They have imported some STEP files I gave them on a smaller assembly, but even those were too large in terms of polygons and the time required for translation.  This new model I have with over 18,000 parts definitely will not work for them.

Builder
Builder

I have imported an entire plant site into 3DS using JT saved from solid edge (not precise geometry) then export from 3DS to obj but this has been for PR marketing purposes.  I believe the digital studios produce anything once in obj including taking it into Maya.

Cheers

Phil

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC

Phenom
Phenom

So the JT format appears to be emerging as a winner here.