3D View Styles - no shortcut button for Shaded with Visible Edges AND HIDDEN LINES

[ Edited ]

There are 5 3D View Styles buttons (as far as I am aware....)View styles.PNG

1. Wire Frame

2. Visible and Hidden Edges

3. Visible Edges

4. Shaded

5. Shaded with Visible Edges

But there is no button for Shaded with Visible Edges AND HIDDEN LINES.

You can get this setting by:

View>Style Group>View Overrides>Rendering>

Render Mode: Smooth with VHL Overlay 

Hidden lines: Dim or Dashed

I would like to be able to have this option to turn on hidden lines in addition to Shaded with Visible Edges as a shortcut. Is there a way to customise a button to get this setting?

7 REPLIES

Betreff: 3D View Styles - no shortcut button for Shaded with Visible Edges AND HIDDEN LINES

Hi @pmckay

this seems to be true.

I've tried to write a short and fast macro to do this, but failed when trying to activate the hidden edges somehow.

There is an API command for activating the "Shaded and Visible Edges" but no one for Hidden edges.

So I have seen that You can do it somehow via the ViewStyle but I was not successful till now bringing it to the proper code.

The one and only fast solution I've found so far is to create a view style which You can select with one single mouse click from toolbar.

20170501_1009.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: 3D View Styles - no shortcut button for Shaded with Visible Edges AND HIDDEN LINES

Yes @hawcad I have a separate style to activate it from, which is a bit easier then going into the View Override window each time.

I am not surprised that there is no API for it, as there is no button for it either.

As graphics processors are more and more powerful, I think it is important to maximise the 'visuality' of the display, if for nothing more than to impress customers...

For it to truly be useful, this setting needs it's own button so that you can select it as easily and as rapidly as the other view styles. Having it in a drop down menu on a separate tab means it will never be used as often as the other view styles.

Hi @pmckay

if it is important to You, You can open an ER to get it in future releases of Solid Edge.

And besides that, I have open a post in the developers forum to aks for help in programming.

I'm absoluteley confident that there will come solutions to use as macro

regards
Wolfgang

I am working with local support here in Australia about getting an ER for this.

The key point here is that we need to draw a distinction between 'impossibility' on one hand, and 'difficulty' on the other.

I am not arguing that it is impossible, I am arguing that it is more difficult to achieve then the other face style options, and because of this, it is almost never used, and I suspect many do not even know of this option. The User Interface must at all times strive to be as simple and consistent as it can be. Even for experienced users that know how to do it, there is still a lot of mental effort that can be saved/streamlined.

The table below shows the combinations. I have ignored the 'Wireframe" option, so there are 4 buttons in the table, and I am arguing for a fifth, whereas on Solid Edge right now there are five buttons because of the wireframe option, and I am arguing for a sixth - Visible edges with hidden lines and shading. 

Onlywith hidden lineswith shadingwith hidden lines and shading
Visible EdgesButtonButtonButtonNO Button
ShadedButtonNot possible-Not possible

For this extra option to be usable, it must have it's own button and it must be grouped with the other view styles, otherwise it is too far away and you will only use it on special occasions. Even if it is the default when you start a new file, as soon as you select a different view style, the only way to get back to it is to go to a different menu tab, click a drop down, and then click your option. This is 3 mouse clicks compared to one, but it is also moving the mouse a long way around the screen. It takes much more effort to achieve than if it had it's own button.

Another problem with relying on Styles to define 'View Styles' is that the style is in each file, not universal within the application. This is good at times, but also makes it nearly impossible to have a consistent interface, unless you want to go and add a particular style to all files. Nobody will do that, so you end up putting it in your template files, so maybe after a couple of years you might have a consistent viewing interface with all the files you are working on.

I do not see 'Styles" as a valid solution to the problem I have outlined.

I think adding a button for Visible Edges + Shaded + hidden lines is a valid enhancement.

Hi @pmckay

You have to define this style in Your templates and save it in the material database too.

From now on every new document will have this style and for older documents You can copy it back to them and use them.

But again, it could be an enhancement to offer it directly as standard function.

On the other hand and to be serious, I think that I will not use it, and if then very, very seldom

regards
Wolfgang

Yes Wolfgang, you can choose to use the Material database as a source, or of course you can copy it from your templates too.

Seeing as nobody would really have used this setting, I doubt there is any built up demand for it, so therefore it is quite unlikely that anyone would bother to take time to populate old files with it. If this option is not available with it's own button and independent of the file (so not based on library styles) then I can't see it being used very much. That is why I think it should have it's own button.

I agree that you and many others might not use this setting if it were available. However, not many people were asking for iPhone until they picked one up and played with it. Try taking an iPhone away from someone now and replace it with an old Nokia..... Smiley Happy