3D connexion mouse moves model when adding holes/cutouts

Genius
Genius

I recently changed career directions, they set me up with a new pc, and I have this issue that I can't seem to fix with SE. When I use my 3D mouse to zoom in when placing holes, or cutouts, it will rotate my part. I don't know how else to explain, so hope that makes sense. I have to use my normal mouse wheel to zoom in, and that's very annoying with large assemblies..........

I've uninstalled the 3D connexion software, installed again, and checked the box to remove any previous user settings. I have a SpacePilot Pro, and even tried using another mouse, but same results. There's over 20 users here, and nobody has seen this before, and I've tried the Facebook page for help as well. It seems like it might be a SE setting, but we can't find anything at this time.

Thanks

(formally Boat Tech, but can't get my old user stuff)

9 REPLIES

Re: 3D connexion mouse moves model when adding holes/cutouts

That's odd...I'm using the wireless 3DConnexion, but because of all the metal drawers in my desk it only works consistently while plugged in, and I don't have any issues in any of the 3D environments.  I do have a slight drift in the draft environment, where any use of the 3D mouse includes an element of drift up and left, but that's just in the 2D, and is never more than a very minor nuisance.  It used to drift right, and I don't remember when it switched on me, but it's never been drift free in 2D.  If it was doing something similar in 3D I expect it would manifest as something similar to what you're describing.

Does this happen to you when you use somebody else's workstation and space mouse?  If not, I have no idea what to do about it, and would be interested to hear whatever fix you come across.

Phenom
Phenom

Not sure what 3dx driver you are using but somewhere in properties there is an option to 'move part on select'

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius

~MyBitmap.jpg

I'm not finding that selection:

Legend
Legend

I'm having trouble as well..  I just swapped my PRO for a new wireless unit with the new software.  Rotation is normal during all enviroment but in ordered when creating a sketch or cutout I'm able to rotate the part, Ideally I only want to pan & zoom. Also can't get any custom commands to populate into 3Dconnexion dropdowns to add to button mapping.  I was able to simply plug in corded unit and it worked fine, swap to cordless and not the same. You used to be able to save button mapping but I couldn't find where to do it now.

-Craig

I've had varying experiences with that.  Sometimes it only allows me to pan/zoom, other times it also allows me to rotate.  Depending on what I'm doing, sometimes the rotation is helpful, but other times I'm happy to have it suppressed.  I've not tried to figure out the exact details of it yet, but rotation seems to be locked unless I rotate with my standard mouse, at which point it unlocks rotation on the 3D mouse.  I don't know if that correlation is perfect though.

Phenom
Phenom

@Trikefreak - your image shows different to my driver, but I would think it is the 'Move Selected Objects' option. In ours its Assembly > Parts Moving on Select.

This is OFF in your image so I don't think that is the problem.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Genius
Genius

I've sent a message to 3DConnexion, but not heard anything back. I've uninstalled, removed the mouse, installed and removed previous user settings, plug in mouse, install updated drivers, nothing fixes this.

My first experience, a couple weeks ago, I even plugged in a different model mouse, it still acted the same.

This is NOT a Solid Edge setting?

I've found another odd reaction with my Solid Edge, and that is the background color only stays when I set it for a model. I open a new one, and it goes to default colors. I only mention this, because it makes me think there might be a configuration file that isn't updating, or something. Just thinking if there was a SE setting for this mouse issue, that it would be saved in a configuration file. Just thinking out loud. This is really annoying trying to add any holes, sketches, cutouts, etc.............all day, and every day.

Phenom
Phenom

@Trikefreak - I think the background colour is set in the template.

Just a thought - have you tried an earlier driver ?

I use '3DxSoftware64_v3-15-3_r1244.exe' for the driver install, as we found the settings more difficult to find in the later drivers (we didn't get the 'add-in' group.)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Genius
Genius

Well, 3DConnexion showed me a button on the SpacePilot Pro that allows me to turn off rotation, and that allows me to do what I want. I just have to turn it off and on as needed, but that beats not being able to use the space ball to zoom while working within large assemblies or parts.