A great tip to all Solid Edge users to increase performance/speed

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi guys, just wanna share a great advice. Maybe some of you know, maybe some of you don't.

I've been learning Solid Edge for about 6 months now. And one thing a noticed was how slow and how much time it took to create a pattern for holes (for example) I have a overkiller PC with SSD, fast RAM, new CPU etc.. So I couldn't understand why the loading times where that long.

Today I've found out how INCREDIBLE fast you can get your PC to run this software. Patterns that took 3-4 minutes to create, was finished about in 1-2 sekunds.

The solution is called RAMDisk. I've used different RAMDisk softwares in the past but never found a reason to have it for (except Photoshop)

I use ASUS ROG RAMDisk so I can really recommend it. But there's other RAMdisk software that have the same important features like the one from ASUS.

Info about ASUS RAMDisk:

ROG RAMDisk easily turns RAM into superfast temporary storage to accelerate operating system performance and reduce load times. It can use up to 80% of available system memory, and accesses files without relocating them to protect data integrity and minimize accidental corruption. To do this, the utility creates junction points which serve as quick links between files and RAM storage. All files are automatically saved and restored to their specific locations on hard drives when you turn your PC off, then go back to RAM when you power on again.

Only thing you need is extra space of RAM and a good RAMDisk software. Google is your friend, and I'm happy to answer if anyone have a question!

/Christoffer

4 REPLIES

Re: A great tip to all Solid Edge users to increase performance/speed

Genius
Genius
What would you suggest is a good Ramdisk software?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Many motherboards have their own RAMDisk software for optional download, I suggest you search to see if your MOBO got that.

RAMDisk software list: http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/ramdisks-roundup-and-testing

I've only tried free versions of RAMDisk softwares, but I would recommend Dataram RAMDisk. Many of them comes with a trial or free version, which is nice so you can test it first.

This is the options you want your RAMDisk software to have: Save on Shutdown, Load on Boot, Synchronous Backup

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

All of my files are on a server where files are automatically backed up. To take advantage of this do I need to move files to the ram disk then move them back? If not, how does ramdisk get in the middle of things?

Experimenter
Experimenter

No, you don't need to move the save files to the RAMDisk. I got the same setup, where the file is on a server.

The RAMDisk just use the software (and can create backup also of the files you're working on)

It enables Solid Edge to give the information to the CPU much faster, instead of the traditionally harddrive where it has to pass several more stages on the way before the CPU gets the info.

This just speeds up the overall experience (correct me if I'm wrong here)

/LifeHaxx