ANSI threads not tied in

[ Edited ]

Since upgrading to ST7, I'm not able to add tapered pipe threads.

Under options I have:

ANSI Inch Toerance table = SE-LimitsAndFitsTableInch.txt

However I remember reading in the update that all of this was being tied into a spreadsheet.

I looked at the SE*Inch.txt file and it does not contain the tapered thread information.

The old TXT files have the info, and I don't see any spreadsheet other than the Gagetable in the preferances area.

What should I do to allow tapered threads again?

1. Find out where the spreadsheet is and point to it?

2. Use the older txt files?

After more digging, I found that Hole database=Location of Hole spreadsheets. 

And the thread I want to add is there, but the program is not seeing it.

What tells the program to look at the right spreadsheet within the holes directory? i.e. how does the program know I'm working in ANSI standards?

7 REPLIES

Re: ANSI threads not tied in

[ Edited ]

The Standard depicts which standard you are using.  It can be changed by using the combo box.  The default I believe is set when you pick which standard is your default on install.

Are you selecting the Threaded hole option first?  After selecting it, the tapered pipe thread option then becomes available.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

(view in My Videos)

Video worked.  So you are attempting to apply an outside tapered pipe thread in ordered.  I was assuming inside, so hence the Hole command dialog.

I did this in Synch and it sort of works.  If I change the thread to what goes on a 4.5" cylinder, no problem.  If I let it choose, it screws up the cylinder size and goes to 3/16" cylinder.

I tried in Ordered and it flat out fails.

Tried this for straight pipe threads in both and it works fine, so it just looks like tapered is junk in both modes.  The same DB is used for both synch and ordered so it's not a problem with the DB. Looks like a bug or two in SE.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

Thank you. I'm not crazy. Exactly the first set of threads I want to add in ST7 happens to be broken. I will try it in Sync mode as a work around for now.

And yes. I was able to post a vid! and it worked. The menue Icons for Vid have changed, apperantly it's workings have improved as well.

Keep in mind that for Ordered Pipe thread, the OD must match the "Outside Pipe Diameter" found in the database.

As an example, for 3/4-14 NPT, the OD must be 1.05".

Synchronous and ordered pipe thread seems to work fine the first time but thread length doesn't update if we change the thread.  I will log an IR for this.

Michel

(view in My Videos)

Guys this appears to work for me in both Ordered and Sync. Remember with tapered threads it is unwise to change the length of the thread very much if at all from the standard. Pipethreads.txt in the Preferences folder still rule as far as I know.

The video shows what I saw.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

The problem in only with the specific size I needed to do. Other sizes appear to work (I didnt test them all). So there is something wrong with the hole data base or the rutien relative to the size.