API script to hide selected strings (screws etc) to cleanup assembly prior to Parasolid export

Experimenter
Experimenter

Exporting from SolidEdge to Parasolid only visible items is a useful way to clean complex assemblies prioir to constructing geometry for CAE (CFD for example) or even design reviews of the main details without the clutter. I am looking for a API script (or other tool) that can be used to select details to hide (and even show) via a string matches (eg, screws, bolts, nuts, seals). I consider that this functionality would be so useful that there must be some script available out there. Failing this it would be useful to have the name of a consultant in or outside of Siemens that could fix this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Andrew

7 REPLIES

Re: API script to hide selected strings (screws etc) to cleanup assembly prior to Parasolid export

Experimenter
Experimenter

If one can provide me with an example API command for changing the visibility of components then I could also give it a try myself via Matlab. I just need a good example to start from since I am unfamilar with the API commands.

Re: API script to hide selected strings (screws etc) to cleanup assembly prior to Parasolid export

Phenom
Phenom

Are you aware of the "Select tool" in Solid Edge ?

Link to the manual

original.jpg

Click create new query

original (1).jpg

Define the query search criteria.

original (2).jpg

When you execute the query the occourences that match it are select then you can right click to show \ hide \ activate etc.etc.

Note that you can add multiple criteria so you can create specific queries for every needing

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thankyou Fiorini,

that was a good tip and a big step towards what I am after. All I need now is to find out how I can save this query or set of queries for re-use with another assembly. That would be so useful for me!

cheers

Andrew

Phenom
Phenom

Andrew-Swegon wrote:

Thankyou Fiorini,

that was a good tip and a big step towards what I am after. All I need now is to find out how I can save this query or set of queries for re-use with another assembly. That would be so useful for me!

cheers

Andrew

It seem that queries are saved inside the Assembly file so create it in your Assembly template would work for new files.

I'm not aware of a tool to copy queries from an Assembly to another but probably it can be done by APIs.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank You!!

Andrew Lawrenson
Development Engineer Simulations

[Swegon Logotype]
www.swegon.com

Tel 0512-32200
Direct 0512-32242

Legend
Legend

Hello @Andrew-Swegon,

you can copy the queries from an assembly template to other assemblies with the model styler.

I added this feature in the new version.

Here is the link to the model styler thread: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Freeware-New-version-of-Model-Style...

Greetings from Germany
Christian Kunkel
https://c-k-m.info

Experimenter
Experimenter

This sounds very useful feature. Thank you!  I shall check it out soon.