ASME Y14.34 "DAI" EXPLANATION

Builder
Builder

I was scanning down thru ASME Y14.34 and it uses the acronym DAI.  The explanation is below as stated in the ASME document.  Problem is, I don't understand the explanation.  Anyone have an example of this in use?  

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Brian C.

ASME Y14.34 - 3.11 Design Activity Identification (DAl) design activity identification (DAI): the application of a unique identifier that distinguishes an activity or organization from another activity or organization. Examples of activity identification include activity name, activity name and address, or CAGE code (ASME Y14.100). 

7 REPLIES

Re: ASME Y14.34 "DAI" EXPLANATION

Builder
Builder
Ok, so looks like no one is using this. How about ASME in general? Up to this point we have had no official standard to speak of. Because of some issues with a customer spec, we now need to go the direction of ASME y14.34. So, that in itself has generated a flurry of changes to how we structure our drafts. The main thing being how we configure our parts lists. The column headings are giving the guys headaches cause they say document number instead of part number and title instead of description. So, for right now, we are just manually changing the column headings in the drafts to what we need. Can anyone give me any feedback as to how they changed or modified SE to meet the requirements of ASME Y14?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
Brian,

It seems you are having an issue with implementing drawing standards via ASME at your company. That's a little heavier than a simple post and answer on this SE forum. I'm willing to help you with any of it, but you are going to have to narrow down the focus of each of your questions.

For example, what don't you understand about CAGE codes?

Phenom
Phenom

ASME is very specific and general at the same time. In this case, they are seeking some Identifying mark, name, or number that respresent your engineering department or group of people who perform ASME design decisions.

This is all about liability. Who (singular or group) is responcible for signing off on ASME calculations, drawings, etc.....

Builder
Builder
Hi Scott. First of all, thanks for taking the time to respond and the offer to help.
I guess I just wasn't understanding the wording. 12GAGE posted a response that cleared it up. I can be a little slow sometimes with this sort of thing.
Yep, we are having some issues with drawing standards and the implementation. We are being forced to implement some sort of standard right in the middle of a pretty big, on-going project. So, I'm sure you can imagine the headaches it is causing. Because not only is it affecting the current project that is requiring the standard, but it is hitting all the other projects we have going on in the shop. We will make it thru it. We really needed a standard anyway, it just now its a sink or swim kind of thing.

Builder
Builder

12GAGE, thanks.  That's what I was looking for.  

Really appreciate it!

Brian C.

Phenom
Phenom

Bad post...edited

Builder
Builder
Hello 12GAGE.

I don't believe we are going to go as far with this standard as that. I think the idea is to just structure our standard based on ASME. We have an engineer here who worked with this standard some in his last job. So, ASME was the direction they wanted to go since we had someone who had some experience with it.

Brian C.