Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASME reference related to defining Process versus end results on drawings help

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recall seeing something in ASME documentation regarding not specifying a process to acomplish a desired result unless the process were critical to the end result.

Does anyone know where that is in ASME documents, if at all?

I am having a heated discussion regarding the use of 'Tinned' on drawing to indicate a wire stripped insulation is to recieve 'Tinned Coating' in order to prevent multiple strand wires from fraying.

My preference is to note 'Tinned' in dimension as a subfix. I am not concerned with method of tinning, either with solder iron or dipping in pot with molten solder. We have multiple manufacturing facilities and Vendors that do the tinning.

We have for decades used 'Tinned' as part of dimension at strip area for noting this. We have recently had a facility miss this process, which resulted in a return of an order from a customer. A sales engineer is insisting that we modify that particular drawing to not 'Tin Dipped' in place of 'Tinned' and I am reluctant to do that on a case by case basis.

There are notes on drawings that indicate solder composition to be used and another that indicates no damage to  wires permitted,

3 REPLIES

Re: ASME reference related to defining Process versus end results on drawings help

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Take a look at ASME Y14.5M -2009 1.4 e

HTH,
Jason

Re: ASME reference related to defining Process versus end results on drawings help

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would agree with your version. Tinned indicates a result without specifying method, tin dipped indicates a method/process.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jason,

That was what I was looking for.

Rather aggitated attitude dealing with very lenghthy email chain related to this.

Thanks Again, it was included in last email !!