Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ability of Solid Edge to copy dimensions and view from drafting to the model as PMI

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Team 

NX guy asking a Solid Edge question. 

Does solid Edge have the ability to copy drafting views and dimensions up to the model and create them as PMI?

9 REPLIES 9

Betreff: Ability of Solid Edge to copy dimensions and view from drafting to the model as PMI

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Gary_Gorman

"Yes We can!"

This works pretty well for a couple of years now, and I very often use this function when importing foreign data in 2D and 3D

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Ability of Solid Edge to copy dimensions and view from drafting to the model as PMI

Siemens Creator

Can I then take the SE part with all the view and dimenstions and create a JT file with it all in it?

HI @Gary_Gorman

again

"Yes You Can!"

See video.

I just started from a 2D draft file, send this data to a new 3D part file, create a body with attached dimensions and save this as translated to JT.

Close part without saving and open the JT again bringing all bodies and dimensions and as You can see, You even can modify this part using the original dimensions from draft:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Creator

This is great can I ask you a favor, can you 

Create a 3D part in SE 

Create a drawing in SE with dimensions and a section view 

Push the views and dimensions back up to the model

Write out a JT file 

Send it to me. 

Hi @Gary_Gorman

welcome, see attachment

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@hawcad,  now that is what I call service!!! 

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Siemens Creator

Wolfgang 

Thanks you very much this is great. 

Siemens Creator

wolfgang 

1.In SE do users create dimensions on the dwg or do they always come from the part file?

2. Do they create the 3D part and then create all the dimensions, notes, GD&T at the dwg level. 

If they do #2 can you still push the dimensions from the dwg back up to the part?

Gary_Gorman schrieb:

wolfgang 

1.In SE do users create dimensions on the dwg or do they always come from the part file?

2. Do they create the 3D part and then create all the dimensions, notes, GD&T at the dwg level. 

If they do #2 can you still push the dimensions from the dwg back up to the part?

Hi @Gary_Gorman

let me answer Your questions:

1. In SE do users create dimensions on the dwg or do they always come from the part file?
    You have both options to use
    You can define dimensions in Your part document, and of course You need to have them there for modeling reasons, and You can retrieve them if You want.
    Besides this, You also can add further dimensions in the drawing to complete the draft according to Your reuqests. Not always there will be all dimensions in the 3D document as You need them.
    My personal recommendation is to define as many dims in 3D as You can.
    Sync helps You a lot to work in taht way, since sync PMI dimensions not only can be created when it is the best moment, You also can modify Your model and You can retrieve them in draft
  3. If they do #2 can you still push the dimensions from the dwg back up to the part?
    There is a function for Create 3D from Draft - as already shown in previous post, but this will not wokr for active associative draft views from 3D models.
    Only for a pure 2D draft.
    So what I have done before, was also, to convert the 3D draft to a 2D draft only and then I have used the Create 3D function as shown in video

Hope this helps

regards
Wolfgang