Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Custom Properties using a Draft Selected View (VBA)

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I'm working with multiple pages draft documents that contains the assembly view in first page and assembly components in the rest of the pages, what im trying to do is with my active document, select a view then run a macro that collects the custom properties from the selected view and place this info in my title block, is that possible? I understand is not a good practice to have the assembly and parts in the same document but this is what I have been asked to do here in my work.

thanks!

12 REPLIES

Re: Access Custom Properties using a Draft Selected View (VBA)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

So you want the title block on each sheet to read different properties from different files -- assemblies and parts?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

Yes Bruce, 

It does'nt need to be automatically updated, but due to each part is made from different materials and treatments, etc I would like to avoid errors writing manually this info on each page.

Does the info have to be in the title blocks? That's a pretty non-standard method. Can it be in a custom parts list on each sheet or linked to each view instead.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Non standard? Most mfg drawings titleblocks call out the part detailed.

This is kinda a problem with SE if done the way most would do it via putting some sort of ref in the drawings titleblock such as %{title|R1} as this will always reference the same part from page to page. The kinda janky workaround is to leave that field empty in the actual title block and to instead just put an annotative callout text block over the corisponding location in the drawing sheet with the callout as before only changing the R1 to whatever number actually references the object in question.

Creator
Creator

Yes Bruce,

It has to be in the title block, I suggested the part list table but the document has to be delivered to a customer and they didn't like the idea.

@nanan00 wrote:

Non standard? Most mfg drawings titleblocks call out the part detailed.

Yes, it's non-standard to have multiple sheets in one draft file and have each title block on each sheet differ.

Bruce Shand

@xRobin wrote:

Yes Bruce,

It has to be in the title block, I suggested the part list table but the document has to be delivered to a customer and they didn't like the idea.

And it has to be a multi-sheet draft file instead of discrete draft files? One for each part?

Bruce Shand

Creator
Creator

Correct,

what they are trying to do is with the assembly, they look a a balloon that points to the part, in a splitted balloon they can see the item number and the page the part is located, I started writing something like this (attached) but I cant get to the selected view.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If the information is inside each part. Then display the required information in the parts list. Use the same variable names inside each part then display that variable for every part.

Title blocks only have first page then other pages unless you include the title block with the drafting of each page (not a good way to work)

If none of that works for you. then display what you want using annotation and locate it anywhere.