Accessing and changing part variables in bulk

Builder
Builder

Edgers

Does anyone know how I can access user defined variables in part variable table in bulk?   Say I have 200 part files and I need to change in bulk one or two user variable values in all these part files?

I know I can expose the user variable to custom properties and then access the value in Property Manager (not sure if I can edit from there though).  However I think you can only expose user variables one part file at a time??? 

Is this more a custom tool function?

Any help appreciated?

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC
9 REPLIES

Re: Accessing and changing part variables in bulk

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mspadmin

I had to write my own VB.Net custom command line tool to do something similar in the past. Maybe someone else on this forum can show us a better or simpler way to change many part models' variables in bulk.

If you are interrested I can maybe find the source code I have written and PM you this. You will need to reverse engineer and adapt it to your specific needs. Let me know if you want this?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You can edit all properties from within Property Manager.

You can access Property Manager from the Solid Edge menu - you do not have to open an assembly. Yo simply select the directories in which the desired Solid Edge files reside.

You can edit large number of files all at once by copying and pasting to groupds of selected files.

Cheers

Mark

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@MF

Mark, I completely agree with what you have stated. However you are not able to change part variables, or even variables exposed as properties this way from my experience. And this is what is being asked by mspadmin, unless I misunderstood somehow.

As proof find attached a part file I have specially created. Within you will find a fully parametric cube where the length of the sides can be changed using a variable called "Length" within the variable table. This same variable is also exposed as a file property. When looking at custom file properties this exposed variable is visible. Alongside I have created another custom text property called "myLength". Within both Part environment and Property Manager the file properties "Length" cannot be edited, while "myLength" can.

Phenom
Phenom

@MF

Thanks for pointing to the Property Manager, it appears to be a great tool.

I had to however read through the help page carefully to understand that a bunch of files can be opened at same time only when there is no document open. This seems quite odd since SE should ideally allow adding files when the property manager was invoked with a file open.

Further right-clicking to add a property from the CUSTOM category is also not intuitive.

But once again, a great tool that as usual leaves both new and experienced user guessing 'I know it does the job but what exactly do I click next... ?'

Builder
Builder
Thx Pieter

Trust your well....Yes I'd be willing to view the code. If more people have the same request perhaps Siemens can help with a better method....I believe there are good reasons to warrant this workflow like your parts are already created and you prefer not to have to recreate using FOP potentially thousands of parts for the sake of changing 1 or 2 user defined variables?

Lets c
ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@mspadmin

PM send.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The easiest way for them to add the feature would be allowing exposed variables to be used in occurrence properties. I already have an ER in to add sheet metal Gage to to occurrence properties. I frequently need to edit all the gages in an assembly w/ 10 or more sheets. Then we would be able to go into occurrence properties and edit what is needed for all of the files under an assembly.

At least this is my take on it.

The other way I think would be a huge help to many is the ability to add a limited view of the of the variables as a permanent table inside the assembly like a menu. This would be less applicable to your case, but I also have another motive here. I would like to establish what variables are in control of a model for when another user opens the file. This method would allow that to be known immediately when the file is opened rather than having to figure that out by looking at a mixture of variables, relations, sketches, and part tree. In some cases sorting through 100's of variable to find the 3 to 20 that are in control.

If that same table could also be displayed in draft, then the controlling factors of the design would be known when looking at the print with minimal effort.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

for the moment You can use the "user named" filter in the variable table or the new ST9 category view of variables.

But I agree with the request fir an open formular of "to defined variables"  which in many cases can reduce the need for a special macro or similar.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGE

I would be happy with the ability to modify the sheet metal gage NAME from outside the part. I can change the thickness itself, but if I don't go into the part, then into the material table, it will still reflect whatever the sheet metal gage name was back when I last set it. If I could change this from the variable table and the peer variables, I would be soooooo happy. Like christmas.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"