Accurate Mass Weights on Drawings

Hi All,

We seem to be constantly wrestling with getting accurate Mass readings on our drawings.

Despite the part files density etc. being correct, there seems to be no way of having the mass calculation accurate.

This issue seems to be worse when working on an assembly file.

Our current process is to:

- open each every part file

- properties/update mass

- open each sub-assembly file

- activate all

- update all links

- update mass

- open top level assesmbly

- update all links

- update mass

Is there no better way???

We have just had a client who has massivly underquoted a project, as he quoted on steel tonnage as per our BOM, and it now turns out that it was innacurate.

As an outcome we have been reviewing other projects in the office, and have found major changes also.

Are other people also having this issue?

I have attached an image showing one of the projects we have found just now.

These weights all updates correctly after opening each part and assy, and doing a manual mass upadate.

David

David Finlay
9 REPLIES

Betreff: Accurate Mass Weights on Drawings

Hi,

sounds strange.

The mass is calculated automatically when saving a part file.

That means the mass of every single part must be correct.

There is an option in physical properties and may be You haven't set this to on.

Besides this I always go to physical props table in every asm (the top asm is enough) from where You can see wether all mass is up to date and if necessary can be updated for every part and sub asm in the structure.

Question also might be, to which property the entry in the drsft bom is linked to?

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad   @trangimagineering  the mass is not necessarily updated automatically on save, it depends if your part & sheetmetal template settings have it turned on.  In the physical properties dialog there's an "update on file save" check box, you want to make sure to turn this on, on your templates. Note, this won't affect old files, only new ones going forward.

I would recommend turning this on on part/SM files, but not on assemblies as it will add significant save time.

A quick way to update everything, is on the top level asm, in Properties Manager, click Update All, which will update the masses of all parts and asms (that you have write access to).

Remember, the software can only work with the information you give it. You will need to ensure that the materials you assign are correct, and that masses for things like bearings, bolts, motors etc. are correct.

Garbage-In-Garbage-Out afterall!

Re: Accurate Mass Weights on Drawings

Have you tried to check the Density Value in : Application -> Properties -> File Properties - > Units-> Advanced Units ? I had this issue some time ago. Also check the bolts, nuts, bearing... if the mass is ok ( sometimes, this are body features, and the mass can be out of the "normal" range...)

Cheers!

Ciprian Chiosa
Solid Edge ST8 + TC10.1 - Win 7 x64
SIPA Enginnering Romania

"A quick way to update everything, is on the top level asm, in Properties Manager, click Update All, which will update the masses of all parts and asms (that you have write access to)."

This will update the mass of the top assembly, but not the mass of the sub assemblies. Each sub-assembly must be opened on it's own and be forced (Either manually or durring save) to update it's weight.

Disagree @12GAGE  - After you click update all, a dialog appears giving you the option to update and save selected sub-asms.

I have never seen the dialog you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16QshEH6Ic&feature=youtu.be

Now I do get a warning because one of my sub assemblies has place holder parts that are only used to control mates and as referance parts in the sub assembly drawings.

[ Edited ]

This is what I see  @12GAGE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4CjcWaKck

We're on ST9 at the min, but the functionality has been there since I can remember. 

Edit: I see where you're going wrong, it's under Properties Manager, not Update All or Properties.

Ah ha. I never used the properties manager, I just used properties because when I concerned with weights, I need to know the CG to place lifting lubs & attachment points for painting, field use, etc...

Also whem working on a part, the properties manager is not there.

So this was a learning curve issue on my part having never used properties manager. Thank you!

Since I work alone relative to CAD, this formum is the only way for me to have my eyes opened. Learning from reading out of the manual is difficult & slow because I'm Dyslexic.

Accurate Mass Weights on Drawings

Hi All,

As an update to this issue, essentially the main outcome has been that there is a Tick Box in the properties manager, that forces edge to do update the part/assembly file on save.

We have had our VAR modify the Open/Save batch program to add a function to also update the mass on save, and tick the box on files that do not have it ticked.

This has allowed us to run an Open/Save on all template files to ensure that they all have the tick box activated.

This also allows us, when a project is complete and ready to go, we can run a open/save on the project to ensure all mass's are correct.

So far, this process has been working really well.

Thanks all for you contributions.

David

David Finlay