Add an assembly to an assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have downloaded an assembly drawing of a pneumatic cylinder and i need to put it into another assembly that i have drawn, but i do not know how to do it. Is it possible to import the whole assembly in or do you have to do it piece by piece?

8 REPLIES

Betreff: Add an assembly to an assembly

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi;

do You talk about an assembly drawing (2D) or an assembly 3D file?

And if it is a 3D, what are Your targets?

Should the new assembly be a subassembly of the existing one - what is a simple task - or should all parts be equal members within the existing one - what also is no difficult task.

If so, then first add the subassembly to the exisitng one and then use "move parts" to bring them into the top assembly in one additional step.

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

hi,

it is a 3D model but i need to know how to actually add the subassembly to the existing one.

Phenom
Phenom

Drag and drop it in........

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I use explorer to drag and drop everything in.

The only times I don't use that for file management, I'm either creating an assembly or draft from an existing file, or using revision manager to copy/relocate file.

Experimenter
Experimenter

hi,

how do i find the "move parts" function to bring them into the top assembly?

Experimenter
Experimenter

hi,

how or where do i find the "move parts" function to bring them into the top assembly?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

A few ways to look at this.

If want to insert a copy of a part, leaving the part where it is, and use it for multiple models, just drag and drop it in from wherever that part lives.

If you want a new copy of the part for modification, I copy it using windows into the same directory as the assembly, then drag and drop it in.

If you want a new copy of the part as you copy the entire assembly, that's part of the revision manager software.

Also worth note: I work in what is called an "un-managed" environment. I don't use insight or other 3rd party software.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Greg3 wrote:

hi,

how or where do i find the "move parts" function to bring them into the top assembly?

I think you need the "transfer" or "disperse" command. Simply type one of the words in command finder when you're in the assembly. But they are in the home tab under modify next to replace part.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200