Adding General notes to draft without copy and paste...

Good day all.

Okay this is kind of a weird question.

What I want to do is use the callout feature in my drafting template to add general notes when I need to. For example; Welding notes, chamfer notes, prepping notes ect.

At the moment I have all those notes in n word ducument, and its frustrating to go to that word document and to copy and paste everytime i have to add a note when making a drawing.

Is there a way to save those notes in my template and whe I need to use one or two of them, i can just go and select which ones must be on the template?

I tried using callout feuture but I am not able to use the " save setting" button to save the different notes i want to add.

I really hope this makes sense, and please give me a shout if you know of any way to do this.

Thanks a mil.

8 REPLIES

Re: Adding General notes to draft without copy and paste...

Phenom
Phenom

You need to give the child a name:

2015-11-05 14_19_02-Callout Properties.png

When you type a name the save button becomes available.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

using the callout properties @Joris showed. your going to have recreate all your notes. i know it's a pain but in the long run you love it. unfortunatly these are not global notes. this file is strored in C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Template\Reports. so you'll have to copy these to each machine

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Joris or anyone could just copy and paste existing notes into the callout box and save each as appropriate. Mostly painless.

If a network location is used for various settings files then they are "global" and only one copy need be maintained.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

We use call out note all the time. They include welding notes, and even call up specific things we have in our parts (we use property manager to give the parts which project they are in, the raw material specs, etc). This is in a network location, and everybody uses it. Biggest issue we have had so far is that when one of the newbies added a lot of other data to it. Meant a lot of cleaning out!

Point to the same folder as the one that contains your reports I think (it used be more specific). The name of the file is draftcallout.txt

Shane Murray
ST10 MP0

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@shanefarra, I guess you could write protect it from certain users. Many places would manage those sorts of things through one or two choice users especially as the number of users increases. Take a 100 seat installation and imagine allowing edits from 100 users.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

True Bruce. It just seems whenever I protect anything, someone wants to do something different. One advantage is that you can tell when somebody is planning to regularly deviate from the company standard  Smiley Happy

Shane Murray

ST8 MP2

Shane Murray
ST10 MP0

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

currently each of our user us it's own draftcallout.txt. We have standard notes that everyone has. They can save there own notes in there. And to correct myself from earlier. you can point to a network folder for these

Thanks guys this really helped a lot.