Solved! Go to solution

Adding Part To Assembly, Not Appearing

Hi, I'm trying to add a part (I made the part in SW, but opened and saved it as a SE) to an assembly but it's not showing up. I can add other parts to the assembly and I can open the part and modify it, it is also showing up in the Part Library. When I try to drag it over the little box and plus sign show up just like the other parts, but it doesn't appear in the Assembly.

Any ideas?

Thank you. 

5 REPLIES

Re: Adding Part To Assembly, Not Appearing

Hi there,

Chance that it could be a open set of surfaces, not a fully enclosed "Solid".....open the part and use the "Show Non-Stitched Edges" tool on the surfaces tab.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Thanks Sean, but I'm not seeing Surfaces, my version (Design 1) may not have it. I can modify the file, so is it safe to assume it is a solid? The part is showing up the 'tree', just not in the viewer window. 

Also I can't re-orient it in the little box at the bottom of the Parts Library. 

btw I've converted lot of Solidworks files, so not sure why this one isn't working. 

[ Edited ]

Hmm, I'm not sure about what Design1 is limited to.....from what I can tell [read], it's only a part modeller [may be wrong...it could have assembly also?] and in Synchronous only.

I was going to suggest uploading the file, but files are apparently not able to be used in commercial versions, akin to Student Edition.

I just tested it, and Synchronous will manipulate surfaces just like on any solid, so it still could be that. Maybe you could post the SW file here [or by private message if you like], and I'll try it for you.

I know SW saves configurations of parts in the model file, which sometimes reads in as if a multi-body part.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Garnet
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Very likely a surface model, not a solid model, just like Sean says. After you place it in ASM, right mouse button (RMB) in the ASM window and choose "Show/Hide All Component..." and turn Surfaces on. It will likely show up. Try this and see...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Thank you! A few tries at RMB got it showing.