Adjustable O-ring

Experimenter
Experimenter

How can  I make a  an O ring adjustable . (made with a circle and  revolve feature)  Whats the best way to achives this as i have multiple assemblies of parts with square O-ring  grooves.I want to  make the Circular O-ring adjustable with the variables tool so that  it can fit the squared grooveoring.png

9 REPLIES

Re: Adjustable O-ring

Phenom
Phenom

Since the O-Ring itself get deformed when in place I would suggest you to use an ellipse as revolving section and place the dimensions of the 2 main axis.

Make the O-Ring adjustable and use the 2 dimensions to control the "shape" of the oring in the socket.

If you use 2 planes to control the section elipse instead of the axis dimensions you could use the adjustamble part to match the socket.

Builder
Builder

I know you didn't put it out there for reveiw, but an o-ring groove like that is a real B***H to machine accurately with a nice finish. If at all possible I would recomend trying to design that part with either a face groove type seal, or a stepped groove for the o-ring.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I will have a  try.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Keye (Builder)  thats true face O-ring grooves are  easier to machine however this is a existing part.   

Experimenter
Experimenter
ellipse as revolving section and place the dimensions of the 2 main axis.

Do you mean sweep feature?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

@Fiorini and @Keye takes you on the right way! Smiley Wink Great suggestion!

You need a very "small" cheat when modeling "O" ring...

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom
That is the most ingenious o-ring modeling method I have ever seen, @Imics.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@swertel, From now on when an SE question comes up we should ask "What would @Imics do"?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom
My Fiends,

Thanks! I always like to share my experience because this can be useful for all SE users and I always study something from you (community, @Tushar, @Ken, @bshand, @Sean...). Thanks, you give me the power!
Don't forget, these guys from dev (Laura, Dan, Art, Ricky, Aditya...) work for you, pls help them and build this community, I think we can be "the strongest". Go SE, Go Community!

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/