I'm back on Solid Edge after many years with Creo/ProEngineer...
And I find myself having some issues with adjustable assemblies.
The assembly is as simple as can be, a cabinet with two doors, each door has two hinges, and I want the doors to open and close. I have the hinges as a subassembly with correct degrees of freedom and limitation of the movement with an angular (range) relationship. Drag component in the hinge-assembly works as intended with no issues.
I have the doors as another subassy, where I mount the hinge-subassy - this is where it gets funky...
The hinges are placed as adjustable, and sometimes the drag component function works OK, sometimes not at all - sometimes the complete hinge-subassy explodes and everything f***s up... But if I toggle the hinge-subassy back to rigid, then back to adjustable again it looks good again.
I have also noticed that when the drag component function works, if I drag the components so that the hinges reach the limit of the angular range, and I then exit the drag component command - some of the under constrained parts in the hinge-subassy suddenly becomes fully constrained. This causes the drag component function not to be valid for the hinge-subassy due to the lack of degree of freedom...
Anybody seen anything like this?
Does it make any difference which part that is the ground part when creating an assembly intended to be adjustable? I have no mating relationship to any reference planes and so on...
The hinge is an imported, simplified part, hence the geometry is not 100% and some of the parts in the assembly are intersecting when assembled and when the hinge is working in its range of motion. This is not a problem for me, hence I have not invested time i correcting this. Also I cannot see that this should be an issue as long as I don't have any collision detection activated.
I'm using ST5 and Adjustable assemblies. I am relatively facing the same problematic:
The hinges are placed as adjustable, the drag component function works well as your Assembly do not contain any conflicts. If the Assembly contacains conflicts the Drag Icon will not be active until you solve the conflics on supress them. You could use "C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST5\Custom\SEAssemblyRelationshipBrowser"
Sometimes when opening some Assemblies containing Adjustable Sub-Assemblies these subassy "explodes"... But if I toggle the Subassy back to rigid, then back to adjustable again it looks good again.
what version are you running now? Adjustable Assys CHnaged / Enhanced recently
I would be very curious to see how the files are set up. I tried to do exactly the same thing (Make doors open and close).
I gave up on the adjustable stuff after spending two days trying to make a door (That's already re-sizable) to be able to open and close. Most of that time went to learning the modeling requirements/& constraints for adjustible assemblies.
My work around has been to insert another copy of the door (including half the hinge) in another position and turn one of the two doors off in the alternate position. Then I can show the finished model w/ the door open and close in draft.
In general, the software appears to only like using a single set of flexibility. Either re-sizable, or one freedom of adjustable. Once you get past that, SE just can't handle the permutations.
Note: for me, re-sizable is when an assembly is driven by assembly planes that are frequently adjusted. All of the assembly driven sheet metal is sized by the assembly planes by driving sketches of ordered tabs, and flanges.
I have used adjustable assemblies quite a bit.
Don't forget that to make something adjustable an assy each level must be adjustable from the level of control all the way down to the item for where the variable is being adjusted!
Attached is the hinge assembly... This is somewaht modified, in the quest for a solution I modified it so there are no intersecting geometry/parts in the range of motion. I allso tried different relationships between the underconstrained parts (mate w/offset, planar align w/offset and center-plane), but with no effect....
I have a range constrain (for reducing the range of motion) in the hinge assembly, as this is the natural place for me to have it (like the real world), I have tried removing this angular range constrain in the hinge assembly and put in an range constrain in the top-assembly level - but with no effect....
This would be peace of cake in Creo...
FYI, I'm on ST9, version 109.00.111 x64
I messed with it a little and it doesn't seem to like the range angle constraint. But if I put in a singe value constraint then apply the range in the variable table it behaves properly.