It's not a regular occurrence, and I've not tried the rigid-back-to-adjustable trick that frees your assembly back up, but I've had several assemblies of doors do that to me. This has happened with a door that was modeled using butt hinges and now more recently a model with pivot hinges, but with the pivot hinge model I wasn't actually constraining the opening with an angle relationship and it did this kind of thing anyway.
What I've always done is just be very careful about when I save and quit the assembly and come back in when it does this to me, but it's a nuisance. Opening objects to the full spread limited by an angle constraint tended to freeze things up too.
I'm currently running ST9 MP4, but the butt hinge model was on ST8 (I can't remember which MP)
I've always found angular relationships problematic - I can never figure out why we have so many orientations of the angle, and always manage to select the wrong one. I then end up with 330deg between faces instead of 30deg.
Why is it so complicated?
Is this the cause of your adjustability problems?
For hinges we usually have 3 configurations - closed, open 90 and open 180 (ie. flat)
if you are driving the hinge with a variabel dont for get that you can drive "Peer Variables" for the assy. this allows you to edit the sub assy variabel driving the hinge angle.
All is determined by just how you wna tyour motion controlled.
do you want to edit the hinge to drive the door... (peer Variable)
do you want to drive the door which edits the hinge... (Adjustable assy)
I also have a hard time getting the "right" angle relationship, and I've had multiple occasions in which I select one based on what it's showing on the screen matching what I want to do, and then when I go to USE it, I find out that it's totally different. For example, I'll set something up with a particular range of angles (with the object's current position being inside of that range), and then when I select the relationship after creating it, I find that the maximum and minimum angles on the relationship are 1) different than what I set them to be, or 2) using a different variation on the angle relationship than the one that showed on the screen when I was creating the relationship (even though the number describing it hasn't changed). The end result is that I either wind up with something that doesn't have the range I want it to have or an object that can't be moved because it's outside of the maximum and minimum values I set for it (even though it was inside those values when I made the assembly).
I've had this problem even when I have no subassemblies and am just creating things from part files. I don't do much with the angle relationship, and the stuff I do with it isn't usually super important, so I've never made a big deal about it, but it's a very anti-intuitive and anti-user-friendly relationship that would drive me nuts if I had to use it regularly.
Should be as simple as 4 clicks for defining the angle between surfaces -
Inside or outside angle
or for edges -
Plane of measurement
Inside or outside angle
Not sure what you're getting at here, but with SE being only a small part of what I do at work, there's a whole world of things I don't know anything about.
When I've been fiddling with doors, some of the time I've been wanting to check things like clearance on the strike jamb with a particular hinge, and that has meant using the "drag components" command rather than a variable that I can manipulate.
Agreed. 4 clicks should be all it takes. I still don't understand how they managed to turn it into 8 options, but by golly they all look different when I click on them.
Indeed, I also like to use the “drag components” command in some cases...
Yes, defining and manipulating variables are OK in many cases... And there are multiple ways to constrain and drive a motion like this, in some cases alternative A is the best, and other times alternative B is best and so on...
However, if I want to have the "restriction" to the angular movement defined in the hinge sub-assy or as a relation at top level assembly, driven by a variable, peer variable or defined by a "range" it should all work and result in a stable model. My model is not stable at all.
Hopefully there are some things I have gotten wrong, but as a lot of others also are having somewhat the same issues it looks to be a weak point in SE...
Anyhow, I have sent a sample file to my local SE-support to see if they have the same issues with the model.
Also I have not had time to test all the tips and suggestions given in this thread yet, but will do when I find the time – to see if it would result in a more stable model…
I wanted to attach a video showing I used the hinge as an adjustable assembly but the insert a video interface is messed up. It doesn't allow my to browse my PC, only myvideos and the web. Nor am I able to upload a video to myvideos.
Anyway It's important to constrain the subparts of the hinge assy within the main assembly; The base of the hinge to the housing and the moveable part of the hinge to the door. Don't constrain the assembly itself. e.g. The hinge assembly reference planes.