Reply
Solved! Go to solution

Adjustable part that wont adjust

I have another part that works flavesly in part environment but when inserted in an assembly wont adjust.

 

Anybody have an explanation ?

 

Is it because adjustable multibody parts are not supposed to exist ? if this is true why Solid Edge let me do it ?

 

In final, any way to solve it ?

 

Thanks

25 REPLIES

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

I assume you right clicked on the part, made it adjustable by selecting adjustable in "simplified/adjustable", and assigned an assembly level variable to drive the variable in the part. You have to create a variable in the assembly to assign to the part variable in the "edit adjustable part" dialog. Make sure the part variable is locked in the part if the variable is a dimension. Then change the assembly variable to drive the part.

I'm a little new to using adj parts so if I'm mistaken in anything I hope somebody chimes in.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust


bshand wrote:

I assume you right clicked on the part, made it adjustable by selecting adjustable in "simplified/adjustable", and assigned an assembly level variable to drive the variable in the part. You have to create a variable in the assembly to assign to the part variable in the "edit adjustable part" dialog. Make sure the part variable is locked in the part if the variable is a dimension. Then change the assembly variable to drive the part.

I'm a little new to using adj parts so if I'm mistaken in anything I hope somebody chimes in.


Yes, that's exactly how to you use an adjustable part (you can also type the value in the dialog without the need to connect it to a variable).

 

What I don't understand is why the part in attachment doesn't adjust.

 

Does it work at your side ?

 

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

[ Edited ]

I can't edit the angle value in the "edit adjustable part" dialog. What dialog do you mean?

Anyway, I also can't adjust it with an assy variable, only directly in peer variables.

It seems like a software problem. Maybe the "rotate faces" feature is a problem although I think it shouldn't be.

Edit: If I remember correctly I had problems with multi-body parts in the past. In a linear cylinder I thought it would be good to have the body and the rod as separate bodies and it didn't work.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

Maybe you can publish the bodies and make an new valve with the two resultant parts and make that adustable?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust


bshand wrote:

Maybe you can publish the bodies and make an new valve with the two resultant parts and make that adustable?


I have already done that and it is actually part of my library.

 

I don't have other reason to keep it as an assembly other than the adjustable thing.

In my opinion a part is always better than an assembly when you don't need it.

 

So you confirm this is a software BUG, I will try to open an IR.

 

Francesco

 

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

I think multi-body is the problem and it would be great if it wasn't. I'll open an IR too. The more the better.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

Thanks Bruce, thumbs up.

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust


Fiorini wrote:

So you confirm this is a software BUG, I will try to open an IR.

Francesco


Maybe a Siemen's person could chime in and confirm: Matt, Greg, UK-Dave....?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fiorini
‎12-03-2015 02:32 PM

Re: Adjustable part that wont adjust

Hi All,

 

For the "ball" of the valve to rotate, you will have to set this body as the "Activated Assembly Body".

 

To do so, in the part, right-click on the body "Sfera" and select "Activate Assembly Body".

 

Then, in an assembly, if the part is set to adjustable, the spere will rotate according the entered angle.

 

That's the trick with adjustable part.

It seems you can only adjust one body and you have to set it to "Activate Assembly Body".

 

HTH,

 

 

Michel