Adjustable spring not moving unless update active level is used every time

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I have a rough concept for a toggle mechanism with an adjustable return spring.  The length of the return spring is measured from a sketch that includes circles tied to the anchor point and a pivot of one of the arm.  The sketches are in the main assembly and associativity is maintained.  Also everthing is activated.  When I retract the solenoid, the sketch circles should move and drive the length of the spring.  This does not happen unless I manually the "update active level" button every time even though it is set for automatic update.  I have another assembly that uses a similar method and it works every time.  The root issue seems to be that the sketch is not updating upon completion of moving the solenoid plunger.  The three attached images show the issue in order.  Note the 2nd image that all parts have moved but the linked sketch has not.  The 3rd image shows the result after I hit the "update active level" button.

Kyle

Toggle Extended.JPGToggle collapsed before update.JPG

Toggle collapsed after update.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
13 REPLIES

Re: Adjustable spring not moving unless update active level is used every time

i too have assembly update issues.  something has changed int eh way assemblies update that i can not quite put my finger on.

I just "feel"  that assemblies used to update more dynamically thatn they do now...

i've looked thru settings adn have just assumed that i'm crazy...  but this is a good example.

Interested to see waht any others have to say or have learned.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

kjoiner wrote:

Hello,

I have a rough concept for a toggle mechanism with an adjustable return spring.  The length of the return spring is measured from a sketch that includes circles tied to the anchor point and a pivot of one of the arm.  The sketches are in the main assembly and associativity is maintained.  Also everthing is activated.  When I retract the solenoid, the sketch circles should move and drive the length of the spring.  This does not happen unless I manually the "update active level" button every time even though it is set for automatic update.  I have another assembly that uses a similar method and it works every time.  The root issue seems to be that the sketch is not updating upon completion of moving the solenoid plunger.  The three attached images show the issue in order.  Note the 2nd image that all parts have moved but the linked sketch has not.  The 3rd image shows the result after I hit the "update active level" button.

Kyle

Kyle,

I would suggest logging the problem so we can take a look at it to see what is going on.

Thanks,

Greg

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Greg,

I'll log an IR.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

The IR is 7457427

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

This has been converted to PR7457427 priority code 2 serious.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Thanks for filing this Kyle...

Eager to see what becomes as im sure your root casuse is as many see but can not easily reproduce.

PLM World Member Phenom

One improvement I would like to see with adjustable parts is some way to measure the distance to drive the part variable without having to include features on a sketch plane to get a 2D measurement.  Maybe I'm missing a trick but that's my usual process when I don't have feature to measure to withing a single plane.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Kyle,

If I understand your question, this is exactly how adjustable parts used to work (many moons ago)

In the part, define it as an adjustable part.

Give the variable you want to adjust a meaningful name.

In the assembly where the adjustable part is placed do the measurement that you want the adjustable part to fit to. I've used min distance do define it.

Then click the variable table icon on the measure dialog to create a variable with this value.

This will show the variable name (Vxxx) and its value- again change the name to something meaningful.

Now RMB the adjustable part and "Edit Adjustable Part"

In the dialog click the Variable Table icon then click the cell under Assembly Variable and from the variable table select your named variable.

Your part should now adjust to the measurement value.

measurement variable.JPG

adjustable part.JPG

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

beachcomber wrote:

Kyle,

If I understand your question, this is exactly how adjustable parts used to work (many moons ago)

In the part, define it as an adjustable part.

Give the variable you want to adjust a meaningful name.

In the assembly where the adjustable part is placed do the measurement that you want the adjustable part to fit to. I've used min distance do define it.

Then click the variable table icon on the measure dialog to create a variable with this value.

This will show the variable name (Vxxx) and its value- again change the name to something meaningful.

Now RMB the adjustable part and "Edit Adjustable Part"

In the dialog click the Variable Table icon then click the cell under Assembly Variable and from the variable table select your named variable.

Your part should now adjust to the measurement value.

adjustable part.JPG

It's even simpler than this - when dragging the adjustable part into the assembly, you will notice the 4 buttons to the right of the variable table button the picture above - these will measure various distances and create the variable for you, so you can bypass the extra step of creating the measurement variable first.

In your test case you submitted with the IR Kyle, when you drag the spring into the assembly and when the adjustable part dialog appears, you can assign the LENGTH variable to the distance between two faces in the assembly for example by using the Measure Distance button. Not sure if this is quite what you're asking for, but it sounds close...

Greg