Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Again, issues with unbend/rebend

Creator
Creator

Hi nominus38

are you trying to achieve something like this?

cone test.JPG

Edging since V18

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@MazCAD wrote:

Hi nominus38

are you trying to achieve something like this?

cone test.JPG

No. This topic has gotten a bit off the rails. I am already to achieve what I need to with the software, except that the ubend/rebend operation slightly cocks my model off center.

Thanks for trying to help, however. I also started in V18. Well, not sure what I was using in school, had to be pre V18, but professionally began on V18.

If you're were attempting recreate my model, realize that it is not an actual cone. This is on a pantleg hopper, which for this part is more of a transition from a large Half circle down to a smaller, off center full circle.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I did not intent to hyjack your thread.

I would look at how everything is anchored. If the start and end of the round are anchored right, it should not be an issue. But it looks like it is. I would call GTAC and start an IR.

Gears Phenom

@12GAGE

Dude it's fine, actually I'm always shopping for different ways to achieve the same goal. So if you can help me come up with a better way to do this I'd be very appreciative. When you say anchor, are you meaning the flat face we select during the unbend? Because if so, that can't be the issue because though I did select one to do the unbend, the rebend I selected all bends. And if I had selected an incorrect face for the rebend, the part would have ended up nowhere near the start point.But as it currently is it is just barely off at all.

Oh, and I have logged with GTAC. Usually though I get some kind of response eventually, but it's been a few days and heard nothing beyond the initial acknowledgement emails saying it has been assigned to someone.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm just starting to use the unbend-rebend work flow when I need to, So I'm not an expert at that yet.

My first through would be to select/conduct unbends in the exact same or exact reverse sequence and the bend were created. The programs likes it when things are done the same way.

Gears Phenom

Yeah that's not it, there's only one bend for the whole part, so there's not really much of a sequence. It's just a lofted flange, in this case it is using triangulation, but it would be the same without triangulation. Lofted flange. unbend. cutout. rebend.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom

Hi @nominus38,

I managed to understand what is your issue and challenge. The main issue is that lofted flange contains lines not only arc. It seems this is a bug, so I suggest reporting this issue.

I've recorded a video about repairing and an another method, what is based on your "master model".

Could you share a picture about connecting pipe to "problematic hole". Only the direction is important for me.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/
Highlighted

Gears Phenom

@Imics wrote:

Hi @nominus38,

I managed to understand what is your issue and challenge. The main issue is that lofted flange contains lines not only arc. It seems this is a bug, so I suggest reporting this issue.

I've recorded a video about repairing and an another method, what is based on your "master model".

Could you share a picture about connecting pipe to "problematic hole". Only the direction is important for me.

BR,

@Imics,

Here's the thing, those lines straight lines have to be in there, otherwise in the draft on the flat pattern, it doesn't give the bend information. That's why those are in there. If you don't have a flat area on the ends of lofted flanges where you use triangulation, it returns the bend callouts like so.

loftd.JPG

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom

@Imics

As per the alternative method you show, that is how I usually do it. In this case, I needed to step break it because the originaly I had made, we were unable to successfully roll it, so I had to make one from a lofted flange so I could use triangulation so we could step break it instead. I do most of my larger units using the thicken method. It's awesome because if I create the base model as a solid part, then thinwall it, I can then split faces at the locations for the seams, then interpart copy the inside faces and thicken outwards. It's perfect. THen, if any cutouts get added to the master model, the cutouts just automatically appear in the resulting part model that was thickened.

Not sure what you meant by problem with pipes? I'm not having any problem with pipe placement. I mentioned pipes above, but that was in reference to @12GAGE's suggestion of making the cuts normal to the neutral plane, and I was wondering how that would work with situations like I described. Haven't been having issues with it, normal cutout is working fine for that.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how that would apply to your situations.

The normal to neutral axis stuff. But for me it would streamline my work flow for about 25% of my models.

It's not possible right now. The neutral axis is a plane, cylinder, or sphere depending on bends, 2 way, and 3 way corners. The cuts that start and stop in the bends and corners that would benefit if it was possible.

The reason this is important for me is that we use a punch to create flat patterns. We avoid "nibbles" whenever it is possible, they tend to break or dull the tooling. So the way side angles on flanges work right now is not acceptable. I have to model the flange as part of the tab and add a bend if I need a side angle. This become combersom when there are more flanges down stream.

Punches have one big advantage over lasers and plasma, no heat effected zone. No need to grind before welding.