Ajustable part variable shown in BOM properties

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I use a lot of ''cut to lenght parts'' (tubes, spring,....) and i dont want to create a new part number( and filename) each time i use a new lenght. So i use ajustable part so i can ajust my part the lenght i need when inserting. I then expose the ajustable variable so i can use it in BOM properties. The problem is when i insert the part, the part ajust to the right length but the ajustable variable doesnt change. Capture.PNG

In this example, the part FE5-0001 is an ajustable part. The ajustable variable is linear_2. In the part, linear_2 is 50mm but in the assemble, In the assembly linear2 is 63mm but it still shows 50mm. I want 63mm to be usable in BOM so i can determine the quantity.  Is there a way to achieve what i want ??

PS. using frames doesnt work cause i have parts that are not extrusions (springs,....) 

23 REPLIES

Re: Ajustable part variable shown in BOM properties

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can you set the length as a variable with a dimension or a measure variable and use that variable in a BOM column?

Is that "63" dimension not showing in the variable table? Or is it the "Linear_2" name?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGI want to variable to be a part properties so it show the lenght on the part line

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You need to add a length column and reference the appropriate variable for it.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My lenght change from an assembly to another so i cant reference a lenght in my part and if i reference a variable from the assembly it wont show in BOM . I could be wrong could you do an example for me plz

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think you are correct. This is harder than it would seem.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

IMHO this could be a task for using structure frames.

There You have one cross section part defing the profile and this could be used in every assembly for a different path and curve

Length, cut size etc. are generated for every single occurnce

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have some parts like cut-to-length springs that cannot be done by frame. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I use both the frame method and a work around method.

The work around was suggested above. I use the variable name "L" for this.

Sometimes I add L to the drawing as a dimension. Sometimes I re-name the protrusion variable to L.

I already have a column I use for this because my title bock is set up for sheet metal where it displayed flat pattern X. In that column, I also display L and frame cut length. The part should only have one of the three variable to display depending on the type of part.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The problem with this workaround, is that the L you define in your part will stay the same even is your part is ajustable and with a different lenght in another assembly. L is defined at the part level and wont change even if it is ajustable. If you are able to do it id like an example plz