Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ajustable part variable shown in BOM properties

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have never figured out what SE calls "Adjustable parts" Every example I have seen of an "Adjustable part" edits the part like a spring or O ring.

My work around is just altering the length, and displaying  it's length.

I will try to find a simple part to demonstrate.

Edit. unzip and open draft. I attached two parts. One is sheet metal, the other a manually extruded angle. Take a look at the formatting of the parts list.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks a lot for your effort, but I think you didnt understand what I need. I need to put those parts in another assembly with differents lenghts without having to create a new parts and show those new lengts in the BOM. This is not possible in your example.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Sure it is. make a copy of the angle, edit it's length.

The variable L is identified for every part separately just like frame members and sheet metal cut sizes.

You will have to have a separate part file for each length.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If it is a copy, i cant have the same filename/part number. I dont want to track those, this is the reason why i need a pajustable part. 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You are right. There needs to be a file with a length in it for display.

I'm not the right guy to help with the built in "Adjustable parts"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well no problem I start to think there is no automated way to do this... Smiley Sad

I will need to overwrite manually the lengths in the bom

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Depending on the shape of the part, you may consider using the frame method. If the part can be defined by a cross section and length. Then you can define a cross section, draw the length as a line for each piece. then crate a frame member for each part. If you do it that way, then one cross section can display multiple lengths with any the assembly file and one cross section.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
We already talked about that possibility in the tread, the problem comes with part like springs, aluminium flexible conduit,... all parts not extruded.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@AlexBergeron, Since no Edge gurus are chiming in I have to assume you've run into a wall on this. Either that or they're hard at work figuring out a solution.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If you can't define the parts as a cross section only, then you will have to have a part for each length if you want that to be displayed in the parts list.

These are the limits of a parametric modeling software of any kind I am aware of.