Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ajustable part variable shown in BOM properties

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE, I don't know. It seems odd that you can't grab a value from an adustable part that is defined in the assembly and is in a variable unique to that assembly.

I don't think it has much to do with general limits of parametric design so much as it's beyond the limits of what the coders provided or have been asked to provide.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The adjustable part function is designed for things that stretch like rubber bands, o rings, and springs.

If there was a way to use the adjustable part function for the purpose of variable length, I think I would have found it by now. I have been asking that question for nearly 2 years now. I barked up that tree once hoping I could use mates to size (Edit length) parts with no luck. Along the way I found out that using planes to adjust parts also prevents FOP AOP.

I would me more than happy to be wrong in this case.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I'm saying maybe there isn't a way now but that it hasn't been provided. Not that it can't be.

Edit:

Maybe the problem is that it's a property in the assembly but BOMs look for properties in parts and subassemblies. Since it's in the assembly it doesn't/can't assign it to a part field in the BOM. Unless the BOM list control includes the top level. Then it will show in the BOM in the top level row if you add the property column. But it will be meaningless there.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Anyone Else had any more luck on this.

We use Cable Tray with 'adjust and allow relationships' quite a lot and could really do with this.

Currently i do a config of just the parts then measure them all and add up the total for each size.

There has to be a better way 

Consultant - Design Majenta PLM - ST10/MP03