Aligning parts in assembly

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm used to aliging parts by aligning their reference planes. In SW, every part has a set of reference planes and by setting relations between planes, I can easily align parts.  I've spent a lot of time playing around with this assemly, but can't figure out how to align the parts.  I tried creating planes, but I am not able to move them like I can in parts view.

I dragged the parts manually to get them close enough.  I want to place the large header pipe so it's perpendicular to the small pipes, with the small pipes centered in relations to the large header pipe.  I also want the align the top plane of the small pipes with the top plane of the header.

align.png

I tried to upload my assembly, but I got this error message:

"The attachment's align.asm content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed."

8 REPLIES

Re: Aligning parts in assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

During the place part sequence, from the ribbon bar, there is a button called "Assemble - Construction Display", this allows among other things, the part planes to be displayed to use for positioning.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you.  Personally I think this feature should be more prominent.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is somewhat related.  How do you move a new plane in assembly?  The part workspace has the steering wheel, but assembly doesn't.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

SeanCresswell wrote:

Hi there,

During the place part sequence, from the ribbon bar, there is a button called "Assemble - Construction Display", this allows among other things, the part planes to be displayed to use for positioning.

In Solid Edge Options, you can also set options on the Assembly tab to automatically show reference planes or coordinate systems when placing a new component in an assembly. You can also choose whether they remain displayed after placement or are hidden after placement. The coordinate system option as well as whether or not to keep them displayed after placement were added for ST8:

assemblyoptions.png

Hope this helps,

Greg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

SPXAli wrote:

This is somewhat related.  How do you move a new plane in assembly?  The part workspace has the steering wheel, but assembly doesn't.

Select that plane, select the edit definition button....redefine as required.

ST8_ASM_AdditionalPlanes_EditDefinition.png

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

SPXAli wrote:

Thank you.  Personally I think this feature should be more prominent.

It is an option I clean forgot about, but thanks to @GregLuckett for the reminder, and pointing it out....the user options allow for this to be in thier default workflow.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The setting to always show the planes is awesome.  I always try to create my parts with assembly in mind and use reference planes for mating.  Thank you for the tip.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

No problem!