Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Assemblies Parts List - Splitting Quantities

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am trying to recreate files to match an existing project. In regards to Parts lists im having trouble showing alternate assemblies in the parts lists to show which parts are attached to different versions of the same assembly. FOr example if I have 10 parts to an assembly and there is an alternate design that would change one part of the assembly. If i bring both alternate assemblies into the draft file and bring in aparts list, i am unable to link the two so that they show what revision of the part it is and the qty of parts being used. I will attach an existing parts list i am trying to emulate to show the different quantities based on the version of the assembly im using. I am using ST10 with all updates. the area of concern is highlighted in blue to show each list of parts for each assembly version.

7 REPLIES

Re: Alternate Assemblies Parts List - Splitting Quantities

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I've been using Solid Edge since version 9, and I have yet to figure out how to get it to create a linked matrix BOM.  (As a matter of fact, I don't know of any CAD system that does.)

We create one family member that has all the parts in it so all the components show up on the BOM.  That configuration is used on the drawing with Display Configurations to only show the parts of each configuration. Then, we manually add the quantity columns to the Parts List table.

The assembly also contains a family member for each configuration so they can be used on higher level assemblies.  It's a royal PITA and we review this process with every Solid Edge release to decide if FoA is worthwhile or if we should get rid of matrix BOMs and create a unique assembly file and drawing for each configuration.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is it not feasible to create a separate parts list for each config in one draft?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

It is, however each assembly has over 50 parts. therefore you waste sheet space with redundant information rather than just showing a list of parts for each alternate design. as in the photo, it saves space for future alternates, in some cases having 10 - 15 versions of the same part, you could have pages of redundant info that you could have in one.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

The trouble is with the find numbers.

Do they get reused?

Do I create new ones for each assembly?

If reused, how does a second Parts List know what parts need a unique Find Number and which don't?

How does a drawing view know which Parts List to link to, especially if Find Numbers are being reused?

I haven't found a clean and easy way to create a matrix BOM.  I have though about making a new P/L for every configuration.

-1 uses 100 series Find Numbers.

-2 uses 200 series, etc. because we rarely have assemblies with more than 100 components.

The same component may be referenced by multiple find numbers, though. And if a configuration needs multiple pages to define it, where do I put the P/L for each?

What happens when we have a contract that requires separate parts lists?

These are all the questions we haven't been able to answer sufficiently enough to change what we do.  Therefore, we're stuck manually creating quantity columns.

Yeah, I can see how my proposal could be very messy and unsatisfying.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand - unless you put each assembly on a different sheet, but then you may have the difficulty of maintaining item numbers between sheets. I don't know how SE handles parts list item numbers for alternate assemblies.

I don't like these multi-column parts lists as they can be so difficult to read with many columns.

I can understand why they are used though.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, I don't think it's required to put the assemblies or configuraton views on different sheets. You just need to unlink new parts lists and watch out for which one is active at certain times. But it would be a major headache to track item numbers between them. Especially if the assemby(s) isn't static.

Bruce Shand