Alternate part in a pattern of parts

Hi all,

I have an assembly with 7 parts in a pattern. The part is a family of parts, one with holes and one without. In the pattern I want every second entity to have holes. But the pattern will not allow me to change any part that is in the pattern. I can right mouse click on the part I want to change and select more/replace part, but the replace part ribbon bar is all greyed out.

I am used to SolidWorks where this is a very simple task. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Neil...

25 REPLIES

Re: Alternate part in a pattern of parts

Hi,

SW is an other "animal"... Smiley Happy

There are some ways to do what you want. Suppressing unnecessary parts and place new ones or...

Here is a video what shows some ways:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Thank you very much Imics for the video, it expained the process nicely. You are also correct SW is another animal, in this case however a friendler one.

Such a simple thing made complex, one would have to wonder why?

I am using a pattern sketch to drive the pattern so I assume that the process is identicle to the ones you outlined. Create two patterns from the one driving sketch and deselect the one not needed in each pattern. Double the work; nice.

Once again I greatly appreciate the effort you went to on this, it will allow me to complete this model.

Neil_H wrote:

Such a simple thing made complex, one would have to wonder why?

Hi Neil,

The answer may be hiding in your question......as there may well be only "one" wondering why.

These sorts of enhancements get added, only if the developers get wind of users desire, or need, for such tools. Can I suggest you submit an enhancement request [ER] through your reseller [VAR] on this, and post the ER number here, for others to add their names to it in support. If indeed there is any.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

I agree, haven't seen many seeking such functionality when there sure should be many more. So Neil, I appreciate you took the pains to post it on the forum.

Further, as @SeanCresswell suggested, talking to the VAR for an enhancement is the right step and more importantly pulling more people in by again publishing the number out here will get you the much needed functionality.

Is SW a friendlier animal because one can change the part configuration for each part in a pattern? The fact that SE uses separate part files in a family makes it problematic.

I will say I like part configurations and am not a big fan of families of parts.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

It seems like SE has a rudimentery ability to change part configurations. The way FOP works seems to be that you make one master part with several configurations and then save copies of the part in each of the various configurations to get the child parts. The problem is all instances of the master part will have the configuration you last used.

FOP is often a PITA. Configurations would be nice to have as an alternate approach.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Have to agree that FOP's can be difficult to manage, but only in that there are more files to keep updated.

The master file should never be used in an assembly and you get a warning to that effect if you do.

I'm also not sure which is the most eficient on file size. Are lots of small files better than a few big ones? What is the overhead of the system deciding which config to apply in an assembly?

With regard to using a different config within a pattern - I can see why it would be nice to do but what happens when you change the number of elements in the pattern - which one gets the replacement part?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber "With regard to using a different config within a pattern - I can see why it would be nice to do but what happens when you change the number of elements in the pattern - which one gets the replacement part?"

Wouldn't a similar problem exist with FOPs?

In all my years of solid modeling I've never wanted to use a different version of a part in a pattern. That's just me though.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

FOP as it exists is just bad, it seems like a complete half ass attempt at getting an ER closed with as little effort as possible. The configurations of SW works much better and would solve most of my issues with making half my drawings where I must instead either make 2x the number of models or just give up and do a ton of draw in place.