Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate position assembly and drawing - balloons on view with alternate position not tied to BOM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I create an alternate position assembly with a door that is different positions.  I created the BOM off of a view with the door closed.   On a following sheet I have a view from a member that has the door open 180°.  I'm ballooning some parts and the items numbers on the view with the door open are not agreeing with the BOM even though I have the "link to parts list" button checked.  This is very strange.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
6 REPLIES

Betreff: Alternate position assembly and drawing - balloons on view with alternate position not tied

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

is it an "Alternative Position" assembly only or could it be a member of a true Assembly Family?

Each member of an Assembly Family has its own proeprties, posnumebrs, etc.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Alternate position assembly and drawing - balloons on view with alternate position not tied

Gears Phenom

Hi @hawcad

The assembly is an alternate position assembly.  The main assembly consists of a cabinet subassembly and a door subassembly.  I need to be able to show the model with the door closed, the door opened 90° and the door opened 180°.  In the assembly drawing, I need to be able to show these 3 states.  Since this is an alternate position assembly, and all parts are the same, I would expect the BOM and the balloons to all be common.

It's important to note that I am not wanting to show the door closed with a reference of the door open in the same view.  That would be very confusing for our assembly staff.  

It seems like they should all share the same BOM.  If not, what is the workaround?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

@hawcad

What I'm running into is inconsitency in the BOM for the views. 

For example:

I have a view of the machine with the door closed. 

When I add a balloon linked to the parts list, the item number for the door assembly is item 2

I have another view of the machine with the door opened 180°

When I add a balloon lined to the parts list, the item number for the door is now item 5.

Same part but just in a different orientation and the parts lists don't agree.

There has to be a way to make this work.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

I also submitted IR 9109729 with GTAC.   I have a total of 4 machines that will need similar methods so I'm really in need of a solution.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

I'm working with GTAC and we tried a couple of things:

1.  In the options in the assembly model, under "item numbers" we set "maintain item numbers"

2.  In the detail drawing parts list options, select "use assembly generated item numbers"

That seems to resolve the conflicting items numbers issue but you have to make sure you click the check boxes - apply changes to all members, maintain item numbers and use assembly generated item numbers.  If you miss a check box, it won't work.

The next issue is the parts list itself.  All of the members are derived from a master model.  When placing different views and a parts list, there should only be the need for one parts list.  All of the views should be able to reference that parts list.  The reason is that as I balloon the various views of a multi sheet assembly drawing, I can reference the parts list and see which items still have an asterisk next to them.  That tells me I need to balloon those parts.  It seems that currently, if the parts list is tied to one member,  the other members are not related to it.  

In a standard assembly model, you can have multiple sheets and they all reference the main parts list.  In alternate position assemblies, you still have the same exact parts, they are just oriented differently.  All those members should relate to a single parts list.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

Hello,

Andy from GTAC called me back this morning to discuss the parts list for alternate position assemblies.  Driving the items numbers from the assembly model is the best bet when creating a drawing with multiple views of different position members.  The key is making sure all of the necessary check boxes are checked so any changes to item numbers in the assembly model show up in the balloons on the drawing.

Regarding the one parts list relating to the different position members in a drawing - Andy is going to write up an enhancement request for this.  For alternate position assemblies, where the parts are always the same, this seems like a good enhancement.

Kyle

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1