Solved! Go to solution

An annoying aspect of synchronous

In ordered you can use unlocked dimensions in a formula in the variable table. In synchronous, dimensions used in a formula must be locked for some reason.

So, I can't use in synchronous the very simple method I use in ordered to calculate an internal volume. I simply dimension the lines representing the bounding edges of the internal volume and assign those dimensions to a formula to calculate the volume - X*Y*Z.  Then I use that variable in another formula. The X, Y and Z of the volume change due to variables assigned to the overall outside dimensions which are locked. Locking the internal volume dims creates a conflict so I can't change the overall dims.

So in sync I have to use math with the outside variables in order to calculate internal volumes. Tedious and a PITA.

Why does synchronous require locked dims for formulas while ordered does not?

I'm still on ST7 and I'm hoping this is not the case in ST8?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
21 REPLIES

Re: An annoying aspect of synchronous

That's pretty bad.  I'm trying to think why the dimensions have to be locked and can't think of any good reasons.  Maybe someone on the developement team can shed some lights.  The director of the development team is here today.  Hopefully he'll respond.

@SPXAli

It’s seems odd and unfortunate that you can’t use simple dimensional data derived from the model. So much for parameterization.

Bruce Shand

Sorry @bshand, but i don't think you have this right. In ordered (Sketch) you also have a lock a dimension to use its value in a formula. This is a fundamental limitation of variational solving technology and true in all CAD systems to my knowledge.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

@dcstaples

"In ordered (Sketch) you also have a lock a dimension to use its value in a formula."

Nope, not true. Plus, in ordered you can use unlocked PMI dims in formulas.

"variational solving technology" - give me a break. Obviously this is not a challenge since ordered handles it easily. These values are in the model. I want to be able to use the data in the driven dimensions just like in ordered. This data is in the model and should be usable for reference.

You guys need to fix this.

Bruce Shand

Limited re-use of data applies to everything.

Here are my desires for data re-use.

1. Ability to use document name formula in draft

2. Ability to use a part name is a variable name (linked and auto update possible)

3. Ability to use an assembly name as a variable name (linked and auto update possible)

4. The ability to use string math for variable names (Like document name formula)

5. The ability to format ALL variable output numbers for minimal space with a decimal limit.

Example 0.1234567 Could display as 0.123 but 1.000000000 would display as 1 and 1.200000 would display as 1.2

6. the ability to display a portion of the variable table as a ribbon for model controls.

[ Edited ]

Well, good luck to you. My problem seems pretty simple and yet I have to revise a bunch of models because I need to move them to sync and it seems unable to handle it or some coder put a "must be locked" condition on variables in sync. Just allow the user to use reference only/strictly driven dimensions. Ya know, to use the data already in the friggin model. You'd think it was brain surgery or something.

Bruce Shand

Hi, i would like to know why you'd want to do:

1. Ability to use document name formula in draft

While you can refer to same properties used in document name with callouts

2. Ability to use a part name is a variable name (linked and auto update possible)

3. Ability to use an assembly name as a variable name (linked and auto update possible)

Could you give an example of a part you would like to find internal volume?? (with the cad )

Attached is an ordered part. I have shown the X and Y dim for the internal volume. The Z is already a variable called Panel_Thickness.

The point of my complaint is that in sync I can't use the X and Y dims.

Bruce Shand