Solved! Go to solution

Animated Assemblies

I am trying to take our assemblies to the next level by creating assemblies that realistically move, rather than being fully constrained, so they can be used for training videos, advertising, etc. so I need some help here folks!

I need this these two gears to follow each other when rotating. What combination of assembly relationships/paths are needed to achieve this? I have tried using the gear relationship with no luck since one part is a gear and the other is a worm thread shaft. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a few other questions to ask on this assembly once this particuliar problem is solved. One question at a time though haha.

Any input is much appreciated!

11 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Born2bCAD
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Animated Assemblies

You would still use the Gear relationship as the axis of the two rotating parts do not have to be parallel.  You just need to know the correct ratio between the two parts so they both rotate at the approperiate speed.  All the Gear relationship does is determine the rotational axis for each part, relative rotational direction of each, and the speed ratio between them.  If that is specified correctly, then the parts will appear to mesh correctly if they start out that way.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Thanks Grundey! Much appreciated! See attached video!

(view in My Videos)

And now my next question. The large gear is a cam gear which needs to have rollers following along the cam. The rollers are part of a sub-assembly that I have made into an adjustable assembly so they can move in the top level assembly. I have tried the tangent relationship and the cam relationship and both work for the first roller but when I apply a tangent or cam relationship to the second roller (red arrow below) it fully constrains my cam gear. How can I constrain these rollers to follow the cam without fully constraining it?

And both occurences of the follower assy are marked as "Adjustable" in your main assembly?

Anyway you can share the file, or at least show the Pathfinder with the follower assembly selected to see constraints?

Thanks,
Ken

[ Edited ]

Sorry we can't upload files because they are considered proprietary information. But I will post screenshots and videos as much as possible. So I have attached a video of me turning both sub-assemblies to adjustable and adding cam relationships. Once the cam relationship is added to both rollers it fully constrains the cam shaft.

(view in My Videos)

I don't know why that video gets so blurry, probably due to it being 20mb. It looks fine before uploading.

No luck Ken?

I'm not Ken, but without being able to see all the assembly relationships involved, it's impossible to tell why it becomes fully defined just by trying to watch that video. That's something that would need to be logged for us to look at.

Greg

I have no idea.  I'm with Greg, without the actual files it's impossible to diagnose.  It may be something in your followers that is prohibiting this from working.  I would look there first.

I would suggest opening a support call with your VAR or GTAC and sending them the files.

Thanks,
Ken

Ok guys yeah I understand how hard it can be to diagnose something without the actual files. Unfortunately we have a very strict policy with our proprietary information and we require non-disclosure agreements for everything. I will follow up with our GTAC to see if they can resolve the problem. I have the cyllindrical face of each roller designated as the follower and I have the edges of the cam lobes designated as the paths to follow so I do not understand how the cam can be fully defined when the sub-assemblies are both fully adjustable prior to applying that last cam relationship.

Well thanks a lot for all your guys' help and I will be sure to post the solution once this is resolved through GTAC.

Thanks,

Cody