Annotation into a property?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Is there a way to get annotation into a property?

Specifics, I have the following line of annotation.

NN--%{X100/@0|V}.%{Y100/@0|V}.%{Z100/@0|V}

In general is the X,Y,Z size of the object taken driectly from planes controlling the overall size. The NN-- is a model designation. So in general I have a model and size that = part number

This is displayed as my part number in the title block of the drawing that makes that part.

Now I want to display this as the part number in the BOM where it is used.

Any sugestions?.

10 REPLIES

Re: Annotation into a property?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You would need to set this up as a variable in VT and then use that as property text in both your title block and BOM.  You cannot reference an annotation value into VT...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Legend
Legend

Hi 12Gage,

We do this stuff for over 12 years now, we use a small add-on from Avalon in Denmark, its called smartvar, you can create on part, sheetmetall and assy level custom properties en combine stuff into this, f.i custom property "dimension"  and fil it with Ø50, l=200 so a combination of text and PMI dimension.

In this way a part is "smart" and if re-used it will represent itself correct in the partlists..

I have done beta testing for ST4 and asked for this, and several times more... seems that i'm the only one that is interrested in smart parts..

Send Arne Brohuus a mail arne.brohuus@avaloninnovation.com and ask for a trial, the 32  bit version was free, and we pais a small charge for 64 bit conversion a few years ago.

Smartvar.jpg

This will solve your problem.. combine stuff on part/psm/asm level

Regards,

Jan Bos

The Netherlands

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks Grundey. I will work on gettin all that into the BOM if I can.

Is there a way to get a text and number string to become a single string?

Jan_Bos. Since ST7 is 64 bit only now, the 32 bit version can't be tested.

I would like to persue all SE package solutions before considering 3rd pary solutions.

Legend
Legend

Thats what I wished for for 12 year now.. an Solid Edge solution to this problem, the less third party stuff the better.. I agree.

If you found a Solid Edge workaround please inform me/us here, maybe I have overlooked something or there are some hidden features that we did'nt discover.

You can expose variables on part/psm/assy level and combine those in a partlist on a drawing, but this is not the same, try to combine and Ø50, l=200  and a flat #50x12, l=50 and a sheet Pl.4 -500 x 300 in one column in a partlist this is a nightmare..

Kind regards,

Jan Bos

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how to get a custom variable into the BOM.

All of the referances are |G

Under that type of variable, I'm not sure how to get a custom variable into the BOM.

Let's say the assembly has variable X

What's the formatting to get that into the BOM? %{X|G} does not work

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You need to check the "Expose" option in VT so that it becomes a Custom Property and then you can use it as property text in your BOM.

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Exposing the variable was the missing step to get started. I now have property text showning up where and when I want in the BOM. The remaining problem is the property text thinks it's inches. I don't want any units displayed. Just the value of the variable.

This relates back to something you helped me with about a month back. I'm displaying the units *100 with a /@0 so I get 2400 instead of 24 inches.

The display is 2400 in. How do I remove the units from the display?

Things I have tried to do:

I cant figure out how to change the variable table to make it think the variable dose not have units. There is no option for unitless, or no units.

Or I can't figure out how to remove the units from the display of the variable in the BOM.

Either solution is the final step for me to display a "smart part no" in my BOM

I found another thread about this "Format codes to modify property text output"

I will end up with the same problem, the reason I dont want the units is space.

Back to the drawing board

Apperantly the /NU switch does not work. Exactly what I needed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Please post your property text string.  The "/NU" should work to remove the units.

Thanks,
Ken

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I found the answer, but not from any one referance.

%{Document Number|G}%{X100/cp/NU/@0|G}%{y100/cp/NU/@0|G}%{z100/cp/NU/@0|G}

I don't know why, but I have to use /cp/NU to remove units. I have no Idea what the /cp is doing there, but it's needed for some reason. The /cp can be anywhere is the switches.

I also end up with a single unwanted space were the unit would be, but thats gettin very closed to the desired result.