https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:compgroup1a

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Re: Anti matter material? or Holes from another part

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@12GAGE wrote:

Perhaps this is a language thing. You are talking about the "Parts Library" ?

I did not think it did anything different than just bringing in part from explorer, so I never dug into it.

I never have  time to learn new things unless the payback is less then a few days or hours. I'm under pressure to deliver about 50 pages of drawings a day. I'm always trying to figure out....how do I get that into productions hands in an hour.

"System library" is a special assembly file that contains the parts you want to insert and the feature they have to bring with.

To insert a "System library" in your assembly you just need to drag it like all other common parts.

To create a "System library" you just need to assemble the parts and create the features (with IPA link) then use the "System library" tool; it just need a bunch of seconds (when you know what to do).

Solid Edge ST5 Create Systems Library

Solid Edge ST5 Place Systems Library

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
System Library it is an hidden gem of Solid Edge I wish it gets some improvements, specially now that we have Synch.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Indeed a hidden gem. It has been in Solid Edge since 2005.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Now if placed System Library features could be associative to the stored library component's features so that if they were ever updated...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com
Highlighted

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Looks like a huge learning curve to get that going and I would expect the results to be unstable.

Currently I don't use any inter-part copy functions.

It does appear that these feature do allow a way for a hole to be added to nothing that can then be applied to multiple other parts later. This is what I was asking for. I was hoping for a solution w/ less learning curve & setup involved like adding a material called anti matter that would create holes in other objects.

Thanks all for you pointers in the right direction.

If I did go through all that, I have a question about the implimentation of of the System library. The holes it creates, do they work like a normal hole? or are the "removals of materail" presistant? I need to add material (Weld nuts) into the holes after they are created. So I would need to have that step (hole creation) maintain it's place in the ordered sequence of events.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Worth note: I never model fasteners. I only have the time to create sheet metal parts so they can be cut and folded. We don''t have any assembly drawings yet. That's next year.

Using my attached images (from the first post) as the example, I would be trying to add required holes to the reel models. Not the bolts.

If I can't work out the process down to a few minuts of setup for stable results, then it becomes useless. I have 100's of reels and 100's of other items that would need to be dressed up w/ the holes.

Creator
Creator

I would think that you could suppress the fasteners in the assembly, as I believe that is what is driving the holes that you are looking for.

I would think that once you take a few minutes to set this up and save it off. It will do what you are trying to do. I get your busy but a little time up front could possibly help a lot down the road.

I'm just a new guy (a direct modeler guy w/Keycreator) teaching myself how to use this software and having just recently ran thru the the self paced tutorial regarding Assembly systems libraries and reading and thinking about your problem.

I'm about where Matt Lombard was about a1-1/2 - 2 years in learning and processing everything this nice  tool can do.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"Could you have those sketches on your parts that you want to use, and when you add those parts to your assembly, you can add cutouts from a sketch, and use peers to just select the sketch of the part added?"

Yes, however, I would need to break the links because I don't want the reel in the file used to create the sheet metal part. I just want to use the added part to get the holes in place, then remove the part for production drawings. Having the added parts go for the ride would double the size of my existing CAD files.

This is why it's difficult. I need to transfer holes and remove what the holes are being transfered from. Currently just faster to just draw the needed hole sketch each time. I have to do this about 4 times a day. So about 40 min day (10 min each) doing this custom for each job.

Creator
Creator

Hi,

In the tool I use (Keycreator) to make my living with. I would create a tool basically that is nothing more than solid cylinders laid out as you show, with a reference to a common point for insertion and save it off for reuse.

I would then simply bring this part into my current project and simply subtract the hole volumes out without leaving anything visable remaining after the operation.

I’m wondering if utilizing the multibody techniques (add part) in Solid Edge wouldn’t work for you.